Could be a scam or made into one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For now but wait and see, the Queens bees should be coming through now and things could just change . I hope not .!

John Wilkinson

His mother will have been on a queen buying trip, they wont be importing huge numbers of bees and the inspector wont have 400 hives to inspect.
It would be relatively easy to increase to the level he states.
They would use certain hives just to provide the brood and nurse bees and these would be used to make up several nukes. In each nuke a new imported queen would be placed.
As a buyer you would end up with a pure Carniolan which would be of known temperment ie. hard working, gentle but liable to run away if they felt the slightest bit crowded. If you were concerned about future generations changing character then you could replace the queens by buying in new queens. You can get Carniolan queens from Doug on BeesRUs and from Bickerstaffes who will also provide any type of queen you want.
I find him expensive and the idea of a handling charge .....for handling what???

I find him expensive and the idea of a handling charge .....for handling what???
Handling would include all required documentation and registration with fera which some importer/exporters leave to the buyer . that is . should you import bees direct from the country of origin ,you have to conclude the resulting paper work, whilst in this instance as importer he would complete the formalities , hence the 'handling' charges ?

John Wilkinson

Last edited:
Just spotted this on the listing for the nuc

We can arange delivery but at a charge of £0.60 per mile from CM16 XXX in essex or you can take your chances with parcel force for £30.00

Do people really ask to have nucs out by Parcelforce ? The company allow it certainly.

Living creatures

Certain living creatures are accepted only if enclosed in packs constructed so as to prevent injury to Parcelforce Worldwide staff, its agents or damage to other packages.

The following are accepted:
Bees,
Destroyers of noxious pests and other insects sent to or from officially recognized institutions, leeches and certain parasites, silkworms
etc

IF he gets good winter survival
IF new queens materialise early enough
IF he has ample forage or a few tonnes of syrup
IF his carnies don't go swarm crazy - as soon as things get out of hand he's history
IF he can handle the huge admin. task in parallel (or enlist Mum)
IF he has a team of half a dozen experienced beekeepers at peak time.
And plenty more IFs I probably haven't thought of.

It's a high risk/high reward venture. Increase more than tenfold next spring appears to be the aim. "Relatively easy" it certainly isn't.

His mother will have been on a queen buying trip, they wont be importing huge numbers of bees and the inspector wont have 400 hives to inspect.
They would use certain hives just to provide the brood and nurse bees and these would be used to make up several nukes. In each nuke a new imported queen would be placed.

At present has 70 hives.....50 are going to be for honey production in 2011...so from 20 hives the aim is to produce 1,230 nuc's.....800 of them in two months,do you really think this would be easy Geof.....without buying in bee's.

I think his biggest problem will be handling the looming bee crash. Nuc prices seem to have gone up 50% this year, and there are a fair number of despondent beeks out there who have discovered it is a bit harder and more expensive than they thought. Will people be willing to bay big bucks next year....or the year after? I'm not sure.

The other problem is that bees breed like, er bees. Even as moderately incompetent amateurs, we gone from 2 hives to 8, and ended up with 6 as two failed to mate. We weren't trying to increase, we were just stopping swarming. If we had been gunning for numbers, we could have gone to 10 pretty easily. So increase is easy, and we'll probably be selling the odd nuc next year for £100 if the buyer provides the box, or £120 if I have to make one up in ply for them to take away. Supporting a £200+ price point isn't going to be easy.

I think his biggest problem will be handling the looming bee crash. Nuc prices seem to have gone up 50% this year, and there are a fair number of despondent beeks out there who have discovered it is a bit harder and more expensive than they thought. Will people be willing to bay big bucks next year....or the year after? I'm not sure.

it will be when the media gets fed up with the story

at present it is NEWS, bees are dying, no pollination, planet under threat no bees, no food, CCD etc etc

when it becomes old news, then that is when prices will crash:biggrinjester:

We can arange delivery but at a charge of £0.60 per mile from CM16 XXX in essex or you can take your chances with parcel force for £30.00

Am I correct in thinkng that in this country it is illegal to send animals thro the postal system?

parcelforce

Am I correct in thinkng that in this country it is illegal to send animals thro the postal system?

see previous post:

"Living creatures

Certain living creatures are accepted only if enclosed in packs constructed so as to prevent injury to Parcelforce Worldwide staff, its agents or damage to other packages.

The following are accepted:
Bees,
Destroyers of noxious pests and other insects sent to or from officially recognized institutions, leeches and certain parasites, silkworms
etc"

BUT Royal mail can be a bit tetchy re living things - had problem with damaged fertile eggs sent special delivery, marked fragile and perishable etc. they said weren't allowed but website said yes. ended up getting compo through their ombudsman service.

Most queen suppliers send through normal parcel post.
I've bought this way without any problems.

The other problem is that bees breed like, er bees. ................................................................... we'll probably be selling the odd nuc next year for £100 if the buyer provides the box, or £120 if I have to make one up in ply for them to take away. Supporting a £200+ price point isn't going to be easy.

As with everything the cost will come down to what the market will bear.
People do shop around. In the case of live merchandise may also be favouring a local supplier to cut travel time and cost . People who are not jumping in head first also tend to buy on the basis of recommendation from those they know who are experienced in their particular hobby - their local Beekeepng association or club perhaps.

There have been a lot of new people taking up the hobby of beekeeping recently. Some will be disenchanted and give up and sell their colonies. Others may be more successful, decide to turn it into a paying hobby and sell the occassional Nuc. The more suppliers around the greater the pressure on price particularly where the buyer is of limited budget. I fall into this category. When I retired I decided to keep bees again and was quite shocked at the price of everything. I shopped around, acquiring "seconds" or second hand (unused) kit. Then sat back looking at my bank statement wondering how long it would take to save for the colony. Plenty of people were trying to sell me bees certainly.

The estimated size of the market for Nucs or colonies in future years is important. It is not exponentially expanding. All markets reach a saturation point. At present new people taking up beekeeping are replacing those lost over the years. But the increase will level off at some point if only due to the availability of suitable sites and sufficient forage to support all these colonies.

Anyone fancy a job?

zhttp://www.ßid4ßees.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?forum_id=46&forum_thread_id=78

Last edited:
Link dont work but this is what the ad says

Weald Place Farm Bees are looking for staff to help next season on our farm in Essex wages dependent on experience their will also be a chance for volunteers including accommodation. These would suit a southern hemisphere beekeeper who fancy's a working holiday in the UK

Last edited:
Hmmmm I hail from Essex originally and I would go back there . . . at gun point only. Where I lived was rural but houses are "just add water to build estate". And the sky at night is orange instead of black. Horrible. And it is field after field after field of rape seed.

As for his advert (no bees as yet but run my own business) its crap. You cannot expect the customer to bare the costs of a failure. I will rephrase that - you can expect what you want - getting it is a different matter. Rules of commerce/retail are thus - for every 20 customers you make deliriously happy, expect two maybe three people to big you up. For all those you piss off - they will complain to at least eight people each. Add to that the fact that it is harder to get one over on people these days. Money has to be made, but in this country we seem to have forgotten that the customer is king. Apathy of the customer leads to the misunderstanding that you as the seller are in charge.

Beekeeping aside this as a business will not work in the short term and weather/climate dependant will effect the long term. Essex wages - unless he is planning some lodgings based pay system, caravan static home etc, he will be forking out a pretty penny in wages. Being a newbie to all this I have been looking at the prices of nucs and its a hefty sum he is asking for, but his prices will be based on Essexness and the high cost of living. I forgot who said it but when it comes to something living - livestock, when you run a business involving livestock, and you are charging over the odds and have poor sales, something has to give. And the livestock usually suffer first.

I wish him luck cause as a business man myself I think he is going to need it. There have only been two positive comments made. Thats your snapshot feedback right there. Thats without those that decided not to comment either way. And he is hardly mainstream retail is he, little bit of a niche market he's got there.

Apparently has a stand at National Honey Show next week. I hope he's ready for an ear-bashing or two. I don't think the customer profile at the NHS will be throwing any cash at him.

honey show

Didn't talk to him but he seemed to be concentrating on selling poly hives - he did have an interesting poly nuc with integral (side) feeder (for £35 i think).

ok, read it through - 1000 hives from 2 with 800 nucs after 1 year .......optimistic and if one has never managed this quantity before one might wonder if capability could be the key.

I always recall a formula from one of my best managers ...

WILL x SKILL = OUTCOME.

10 x 1 still equals 10 !!

I would also hope that, although his site looks smart, one of it's downfalls is appalling grammar and spelling. Before ANYONE starts saying I have it in for people who can't spell I DON'T and I understand dyslexia...but for a professional site to be so badly spellchecked and read through is a waste of money in my book !

I would gladly spellcheck it/proof read it for a small fee

regards

Somerford

I have looked for this site to no avail so Sommerford can you PM me with it please?

The stats quoted as the ambition are frankly Disney land. Impossible in reality.

And yes miss spellings are these days pretty inexcusable and yes I know full well I make some but that is my rubbish keyboard skills not Firefoxes spell check.

Personally if I find a typo in a professional document I have major suspicions immediately. One's web site is your window, shop window that is, and so it needs to be right.

PH

Last edited:
Back