Could be a scam or made into one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mail to them, and thanks Sommerford.

Guys?

If you have genuine British Black bees I am very interested. I would of course require BIBBA confirmation of same claim.

Also you really need to do a proper spell check on your site, there are a number of classic errors. Bread for bred?

"Our bees are bread from disease resistant stock with good over wintering results along with the ability to react well to nectar flow and produce good volumes of honey. I would like to state that in the "

Interesting claim that your bees are "strongly resistant to varroa"... your proof is?

Good luck

Pete

Where are the£210 nucs gone?

Ijust looked on his site and at the top of the bees section was:
April over wintered B S National 5 Frame Nucleus Colony £100 No mention of an extra hundred quid. Lower down on the same page are queens for £32. Have I missed something?

Regards, RAB

well, he has started a new line in poly hives

i talked to him at the national honey show, pleasant well meaning but not a experienced beek only had mock up of his new venture but agian taking orders with money up front

the main issue was what density the poly hive was, the mock up was 35g ( paper light) but when pressed he said it would be 100g density grey poly

I tried to question his assistant (his dad I think) and he knew not a lot.
The poly nuc with added carbon I have my doubts about having dealt (many years ago) with problems caused by pu with carbon added.

missed this off my post, copy of his flyer, seem too cheap, so assume the density at 100g may be a compromise , what the density of European poly hives

Last edited:
Also forgot to say that the grey colour could signify re-con poly being used.
Nothing wrong with re-cycling but that's how he may have got such a low price.

I liked Rooftops nucs.

Just returned from a long weekend down south, and dropped by at NHS.

I liked the design of this guy's nuc box, but like others slightly dubious of poly density. No idea how easy/difficult it would be to make it denser.
I warmed to them. Very genuine and likeable people which counts for a lot. I still think the bee expansion plans are barmy though.

I have been watching this thread for a while now and would like to have my say now. Facts seem to be a little confused and I would like to put people straight.

We are now overwintering close on 200 hives I am expecting heavy losses in what has so far been a very nasty winter, I am sure we all hope it breaks early next year. Of these 200 hives we are prepared to release 30% for sale at this point as I hope not to have anywhere near 70% losses in fact I think at my last count I have just 3 left for sale for April shipment. Deposits have all been paid and if I can not deliver then they will be repaid in full or part if they can wait until May. I can afford to make these promises as I have a good financial backer who can see the potential in what we are doing here.

I would also like to say it is good fun to poke fun at the new guy accuse me of scamming people anybody wanting to come and visit me or my bees is more then welcome. But as far as price goes try Thones they would like £210 for a 6 frame nuc now in full not a deposit and as many people were disappointed by not receiving orders last year I would say that I am offering a much better service I have managed to negotiate with other producers back up supplies for our May onwards delivers totalling over 1500 nucs if I need to rely on them. I hope I wont need to use them, as it would dent my profits. I have made sound plans to be able to supply all my orders from our own stocks as we are also expanding next year. I hope that this has put the minds of some of the sceptics at peace and you will allow me to get on with my business.

welcome at last

Hi.

no-one is doubting your integrity or enthusiasm but based on the ******** ads and the WPF website several concerns were raised:

1. the "handling fee" issue
2. the feasibility of the concern based on the story provided - as far as the website and press articles are concerned you've gone from nothing to X hives in 6-7 months.
3. the atrocious spelling on an otherwise professional looking website.

atb

richard

I am pleased you have come on to explain.

We are renowned for our cynicism on here.

The deposit issue was an important indicator to lots of us and I think you have done the right thing by changing it.

If you have the financial backing you describe and are determined you will succeed in this market, but it may take a few years more than you think.

Good luck

I have been watching this thread for a while now and would like to have my say now. Facts seem to be a little confused and I would like to put people straight.

We are now overwintering close on 200 hives I am expecting heavy losses in what has so far been a very nasty winter, I am sure we all hope it breaks early next year. Of these 200 hives we are prepared to release 30% for sale at this point as I hope not to have anywhere near 70% losses in fact I think at my last count I have just 3 left for sale for April shipment. Deposits have all been paid and if I can not deliver then they will be repaid in full or part if they can wait until May. I can afford to make these promises as I have a good financial backer who can see the potential in what we are doing here.

I would also like to say it is good fun to poke fun at the new guy accuse me of scamming people anybody wanting to come and visit me or my bees is more then welcome. But as far as price goes try Thones they would like £210 for a 6 frame nuc now in full not a deposit and as many people were disappointed by not receiving orders last year I would say that I am offering a much better service I have managed to negotiate with other producers back up supplies for our May onwards delivers totalling over 1500 nucs if I need to rely on them. I hope I wont need to use them, as it would dent my profits. I have made sound plans to be able to supply all my orders from our own stocks as we are also expanding next year. I hope that this has put the minds of some of the sceptics at peace and you will allow me to get on with my business.

welcome

i liked your national at the honey ,show, it not the quality or your enthusiasm but that your the new kid on the block, always difficult to break into a circle with fixed views

i wish you well with this venture, but bees are bees and i hope you succeed

Hi WPF,
Don't be offended about the scepticism. Some of it has come from longstanding beekeepers who can perhaps forsee plenty of pitfalls in your ambitious plans. Did you know Th££rnes only sell a few hundred nucs a year, in part due to scarcity of trusted suppliers? Finding a source of 1500 is quite an achievement, especially if you also have the option to back out. But it's a thin market with more and more suppliers emerging, including many BKA's so 2011 is a bit hard to predict. I wish you luck and my suggestion is be very careful how you portray yourself - "new kid on the block", preaching necessity of queen imports, and with financial backing, will not endear you to all kinds of beekeepers, including those running courses who have a big influence on new beekeepers.

All the best with the wintering.

Hi.

no-one is doubting your integrity or enthusiasm but based on the ******** ads and the WPF website several concerns were raised:

2. the feasibility of the concern based on the story provided - as far as the website and press articles are concerned you've gone from nothing to X hives in 6-7 months.

atb

richard

With regards to point 3. I believe William answred this in http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7888&page=3 posting 24. He does not use the word 'Dyslexic' lightly.

Hi.

atb

richard

Hi, i started this thread but only because this point 1 could so easily be made into a scam .Anyone could advertise something for sale then add handling fee , aww sorry we have not got it here's x amount of your money back.
Do you see what i mean ?
It was no dig at your business it was high lighten how a scam could be made of this.
regards
Wightbees

Latest posts

Back