Could be a scam or made into one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is common in business to clearly state your terms and conditions, which he clearly has...£10.50 handling fee....if you don’t like it don’t buy...simples.

A handling fee is when the buyer cancels, not the seller.....like a non-refundable deposit....

The seller has no justification to charge a buyer because for some reason they say they are not going to supply.....

I sell stuff... If somebody buys something and pays me and I decide I dont like their name, I can cancel the sale....... but what reason would I have for saying "I am refunding your money less **%"

A steady supply of £115 deposits coming in would pay for 2x ply hives each ready for the spring
Not insinuating that this seller is a crook, but somebody who is might well be non existant at the end of April.....

If he is expanding that fast, his cash needs will be considerable. (400nucs at say £50 cost = £20k plus all his staff costs )

If people are prepared to pay a deposit, they are funding his business. for nothing...

If they pay by a UK credit card, they should be protected if he goes bust..

seriously

Looks like he has managed to build himself an impressive business AND all in one season (although perhaps he laid the foundations knowing that his printing business was going to the wall OR maybe his beekeeping distracted him from work leading to the collapse!!!)

i wish him well.

. Your deposit is fully refundable if we can not for any reason supply your bees - a £10.50 handeling fee.

Maybe once again you lot are getting your knickers in a twist and jumping to conclusions.

He clearly states a FULL refund, but then talks about a handling fee.

Like his miss spelling of private, maybe it it just a miss match or words in the wrong place?

Either way, as it has allready been pointed out this "handling" fee is now not mentioned on his web site:svengo: panic over.

Either way, as it has allready been pointed out this "handling" fee is now not mentioned on his web site panic over.

The fee could be just what it costs him to sell on bid 4 bee's auction site.

Even if each sale on b4b costs £10.50 that should be factored into the business model/cost of completed orders NOT deducted from deposits.

i presume Paypal protection won't count so long after event (>6 months) if he does go under.

I am always wary of paying "up front" for anything - especially from a new business.

Also, not sure whether this contravenes distance selling regulations.

the whole are of deposits is tricky - many are non-refundable if customer cancels but if supplier cancels then it is only fair the whole deposit is returned.

He may have a sound business but he has tripped himself at the first hurdle on marketing - discussion in this vein by his captive market is not doing him any good.

I wish him well providing he trades fairly.

AFAIK normal credit card protection doesn't apply if you use Paypal because the relevent transaction is between credit card and paypal NOT credit card and supplier.

AFAIK normal credit card protection doesn't apply if you use Paypal because the relevent transaction is between credit card and paypal NOT credit card and supplier.

Not sure if that is exactly true as many people set up their paypal account so that anything they spend comes from their credit card.... if a buyer says they take paypay the oprion is usually also there so the buyer can pay with thier credit card. Just tick the right boxes.

paypal

yes you can use your CC via paypal.

However in doing so you are giving up normal credit card protection for the purchase and having to rely upon the paypal procedures.

Maybe once again you lot are getting your knickers in a twist and jumping to conclusions.

If you end up as a creditor to a failed business, any previous contracts, promises or guarantees count for nothing. You join the queue for any scraps just like everyone else. If a new business is clearly very ambitious, has no track record, and the owner has just failed their previous business, then a little bit of scepticism is the only sensible conclusion.
In the end, market forces will rule, and he'll have to reduce the deposit price, which will limit his growth considerably.

From the guardian article

"His mother has recently returned from a bee-buying mission to Slovenia".

A bee importer rather than a bee farmer perhaps?

I prefer local gals myself.

By having a buy it now price of £115, he keeps the ******** comission low so the handling fees are less??

The local bee inspector will have his work cut out with 400 hives to inspect.
Just hope the bee business has the appropriate insurance in place in case a nasty disease rears its ugly head locally.

and western australia.

All seems to be clicking into place quite nicely......:party:

I bought a large and small Nuc from the this guy in July and was very impressed with his set up, the time he had to show me arround the farm and the generally attitude he had.

The bees he sold are very relaxed and easy to handle. I have only had to smoke on inspection once and that was probably due the wasps.

good luck to him.

BTW the only connection I have with him is as a customer

Minty B

Latest posts

Back