Concerned about the cold

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This does not seem bad

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_temp.html

But this is

Coldest night of the winter so far
Temperatures last night fell widely below minus 10 degrees Celsius across parts of southern and eastern England with Holbeach in Lincolnshire recording a minimum -15.6C, making it the coldest night of the winter across the UK so far and also the coldest night since Boxing

This does not seem bad

But this is

Temperatures last night fell widely below minus 10 degrees Celsius across parts of southern and eastern England with Holbeach in Lincolnshire recording a minimum -15.6C, making it the coldest night of the winter across the UK so far and also the coldest night since Boxing

I am just a couple of miles from Holbeach

This does not seem bad

But this is

Yup they use RAF Holbeach as our local weather station but also very close

Stick the insert under the OMF for a few days to a week, make sure they've got a supply of fondant (I stick mine in see through tubs above the crown board), stick your ear against the side of the hive and, if you need to, knock on the hive wall. That'll tell you as much as opening up the hive now. Regardless of what you see, you can't do anything about it now so why disturb them?

Please do not rap the hive. They are in Do Not Disturb mode.

PH

Preferable to opening then up.

Think. Rather than going around banging on hives at this time of the year (agree with PH do not disturb) get a stethoscope - may only be a fiver delivered from epay - or stick a digi temperature probe on the crownboard (under some insulation) and observe for a temperature rise above ambient - OK even mercury in glass will do, as will any sensitive temperature measuring device, and maybe your hand - or be like Mike a, be really flash in this department and play with a thermal imaging device (bet he doesn't need to bash his hives to know if they are still alive in there!).

So what, when they buzz back at you, what does it usefully tell you? Brother Adam, I would suggest. If they don't buzz back there may be a dead-out, but what use is that in these conditions - not much robbing going on at these temperatures.

I've not more than touched a hive for the past month. Hefting time is here and, shortly, a drink to be supplied for them to encourage some brooding.

RAB

The newbies are panicking Finman over a wee bit of normal weather. It makes no sense I agree but there it is.

PH

Finmam, as per usual you selectively quote and hopefully think others will just agree with you?

If you had actually quoted the whole lot you could have saved yourself a posting!

Think. Rather than going around banging on hives at this time of the year (agree with PH do not disturb) get a stethoscope... (now the rest) ... So what, when they buzz back at you, what does it usefully tell you? Brother Adam, I would suggest. If they don't buzz back there may be a dead-out, but what use is that in these conditions - not much robbing going on at these temperatures.

Very obviously it does not tell you how much stores is left. I was leaving that to those that actually thought about it to decide on that one. Remember that word 'think'.

Just to befuddle you, the Brother Adam was a play on an acronym. Approximately the value of your enquiry.

Just to befuddle you, the Brother Adam was a play on an acronym. Approximately the value of your enquiry.

I know nothing about Brother Adam. He was a Bee Buddha in England?

You advise me think - I don't think so.

I have read that Englishmen use to practicise "intellectual poking" of foreign people to see the guy's sense of humour. Yes but Oliver, change sometimes your jokes, please!

I have read that Englishmen use to practicise "intellectual poking" of foreign people to see the guy's sense of humour
I heard we have a reputation for speaking slowly and raising our voices so foreigners would understand us. When I started working in Indonesia (my first job abroad) I swore to myself I wouldn't do that.

Within a week I caught myself doing it. :redface:

As for the weather, it seems to be warming a little in N. Dorset. No bees (or any other insects) around, though.

"The newbies are panicking Finman over a wee bit of normal weather. It makes no sense I agree but there it is."

Just for info PH, I've never seen a foot of snow on our beaches in over 30 years, that's not a 'wee bit of weather' in my book. Don't want to be rude but that was a bit patronizing, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

"The newbies are panicking Finman over a wee bit of normal weather. It makes no sense I agree but there it is."

Just for info PH, I've never seen a foot of snow on our beaches in over 30 years, that's not a 'wee bit of weather' in my book. Don't want to be rude but that was a bit patronizing, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Oh, I don't know, rockdoc. Sounded a big bit of self-congratulatory patronising to me. Yes, inexperienced people do get anxious and need to let their anxiety out. And of course, some of those who've been round the block a few times, have forgotten that they were once in that position.

But if it makes some people feel good to sneer at others, who am I to spoil their fun? They can take a swipe at me in a few weeks when I need advice and ask stupid questions.

Dusty

Back