Complete novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon111

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys,

I am after any advice you can give me as a complete novice. Fortunately, I have National Bee Supplies some 10 miles up the road from me.

As yet, I have not bought anything bee related. I have a seperate piece of land measuring 40' X 20' at present given over to veg.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

As a newbie myself, I would suggest getting a book such as "Guide to Bees and Honey " read that, read this forum, it is VERY informative! Join a club, and get hands on experience. You already have land, always an added bonus.

Welcome Simon.
Finding a good location is more important and harder than selecting your hive type and obtaining kit. Consider the suitability of your land first.
a) how close is it to people and other activities? 40 x 20 ft is a good size for siting bees but what surrounds them? Some on this forum would actively discourage bees in a back garden in range of neighbours, consider this issue with your land to.
b) a south facing loaction with early sun but some shading during the middle of the day (under a tree fringe) and prevailing wind protection is the ideal, how close does your site get to this?. A natural close water source? or make provision (poultry drinker or similar)
c) security can be an issue, would the hives be visible to casual passers by?
d) general access, lugging kit and honey supers 4-500m as I now have to do is a pain! (but my location ticks all other boxes so I put up with it)
e) likely local forage and consistency of forage through the year. Bees might be able to fly 3 miles for forage but they don't chose to! Site selection can help them have an easier life and you to have more productive hives.

Thank you all for your help. Rosti, my land meets most of the criteria you mentioned, shade may have to be thought about and also neighbours, two of which think it's a marvelous idea so far ( I live a a small village in the middle of the Devon countryside). There are a couple of nurseries with-in walking distance and my plot of land is 40' from my back door.

Thanks,
Simon.

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the forum.
You`re in the right place for some good advice. :)

Darren

As a novice myself working my way through "Guide to Bees and Honey", but having completed a beginners course as well as previously reading "Bees at the bottom of the garden" and having some limited first hand experience of handling bees, I am finding the book a little daunting in places.

If you have no experience whatsoever my suggestion would be to start with something like "Bees at the bottom of the garden" as a gentler introduction to what is involved.

Only buy one type of hive.
I had to buy 2nd hand WBC as only hive available to receive swarm already collected! Then got National hives - now gone to to deep nationals. Wish I had started with Deep Nationals then all frames and boxes would be uniform :banghead:

Some of my bees are within that range at the side of the house- in fact - I sit in my lounge watching them work. The only time they are really obvious is when drinking- then they some to the back door where the water tap is - totally ignoring the tray of wet stones near their hive!
As long as they face away from your approach line (taking into account the sun/shade) they should be fine.

I have one colony that is too persistent in guarding after I open- following me for ages- but I will requeen that one!

Latest posts

Back