Cold weather to mid April!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just seen the forecast on the Beeb. How are our colonies going to get through this? I feel for you guys up north of the west country when you can't even get to your hives to help them. I'm struggling down here and it's only -1°C.
Dare not open my hives to move the feeder holes (as advised by NBU) as last saturday I fed one hive (took 20 seconds ) but the half dozen bees that escaped died within that period from the chill - I tried popping them back in the entrance but to no avail.
More insulation put on crown board and big sheet of board put under OMF's -monitoring temperature above CB and getting around 15°C above the cluster - is that enough? (not going into the cluster below CB as too intrusive)
Good luck everyone.............
P.

Cyprus is warmer, and property there is going to be cheaper than recently ...

Yes, the cold spell is to continue for another week at least. Losses are increasing at an alarming rate, i have already lost over 50% of my hives, down to about 20 colonies now and even some of those are very weak and likely to die off

Several experiences beekeepers I know have been totally wiped out. The thought of getting a honey crop in May is very unlikely, the bees just wont be strong enough. Apple pollenation will be a problem too, there wont be any bees to do the job.

I'm surprised that the BBC etc have not reported on the state of our bees

Yes, the cold spell is to continue for another week at least. Losses are increasing at an alarming rate, i have already lost over 50% of my hives, down to about 20 colonies now and even some of those are very weak and likely to die off

Several experiences beekeepers I know have been totally wiped out. The thought of getting a honey crop in May is very unlikely, the bees just wont be strong enough. Apple pollenation will be a problem too, there wont be any bees to do the job.

BBC choices:

Death of bees from neonics - highly interesting as you can blame nasty pesticide companies .

Death from cold = boring as you can only blame the weather and if you do, that conflicts with Global Warming stories. And it suggests bees might die from other causes than neonics..

No brainer.

I have this feeling that honey could fetch really good prices this year ...

Look for the silver lining! :)

Depends where you live!
The supposed scarcity 2012 didn't boost my honey sales locally!
Some people expect "Thank you" to be sufficient reward :(
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is bees that will be expensive. I wonder when the operations that have taken orders up front for late spring delivery will fare? Will they be able to honour their commitments?

I think it is bees that will be expensive. I wonder when the operations that have taken orders up front for late spring delivery will fare? Will they be able to honour their commitments?

:calmdown:Using pollytunnels... if you believe the tales being told!:calmdown:

Latest posts

Back