clearing super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rje66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hope to take super off this weekend using porter bee escape, is it as as simple as put it in place and wait or is there more to do and how long to wait for it to completely empty

Sorry mate I never used porters before but they might take a few days apparently.

Hope to take super off this weekend using porter bee escape, is it as as simple as put it in place and wait or is there more to do and how long to wait for it to completely empty

Usually takes 2 to 3 hrs apparently.
Though last year in my 1st harvest I left put them in overnight.

I put mine on the day before removing, don't need to wait the full 24hrs, you may be left with one or two in there, just shake off

Great, thanks for replying. Wasn't sure if it was hours or days.first crop of honey so wife wants evidence that I'm actually a bee keeper:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Porters are notoriously ineffective - I would definitely leave it on overnight - and still expect a few bees in there when you come to take it off.
For the future - think about making yourself a rhombus clearer board

Porters are notoriously ineffective - I would definitely leave it on overnight - and still expect a few bees in there when you come to take it off.
For the future - think about making yourself a rhombus clearer board

:yeahthat:

And check the gap in the porter bee escapes before you use them!

Rhombus is the way to go if you can leave them on overnight or if in a hurry have a look on dave cushmans site for the pictures and plans of some really rapid clearing boards.

Goodness me...do they still sell porter bee escapes? I haven't used one in years!
The big problem with them tends to be the spring inside. Open it up and make sure it works. Its supposed to be a one-way device so it shouldn't have too much of a bee space. It should also be springy.
How long depends on how many bees are in the super. I would certainly leave it overnight and make sure there is space under the clearer board for them to congregate.

Will look into the rhombus escape, thanks. Is it just a quicker way of clearing or just more effective or both.
Had a look at the porter springs and there is no gap and they are springy,
On hols soon and no time to make a rhombus , but it's on my list of things to do

Goodness me...do they still sell porter bee escapes? I haven't used one in years!
The big problem with them tends to be the spring inside. Open it up and make sure it works. Its supposed to be a one-way device so it shouldn't have too much of a bee space. It should also be springy.
How long depends on how many bees are in the super. I would certainly leave it overnight and make sure there is space under the clearer board for them to congregate.

I think companies struggle to sell them as Thornes were giving them away free a couple of years ago with certain items!:)

I agree. Rhombus clearer boards a much better

Will look into the rhombus escape, thanks. Is it just a quicker way of clearing or just more effective or both.
Had a look at the porter springs and there is no gap and they are springy,
On hols soon and no time to make a rhombus , but it's on my list of things to do

AFAIK there should be a gap!
Read Dave Cushmans site. I believe the idea is that the gap is just enough for the bee to push through but small enough that it can't come the other way.
When I still used them I had the problem and put the boards on, came back the next morning and the super was still full of bees!!

As others have said Rhombus escapes are so much easier as besides keeping them clean there are no moving parts to maintain. They also have the advantage of clearing bees faster!

Rate of emptying might depend on how much free space there is below the clearer board. If your brood box and super are both packed with bees they will clear more slowly. Therefore best to put a super with frames of empty comb or foundation below the super to be cleared. After you have extracted return the box with wet combs to the hive in the evening - to reduce risk of robbing.

One day. Shake and sweep the rest away. I have used them 50 years. But board needs two escapers.

If for any reason the super hasn't cleared at all then check that the super frame isn't immediately above the hole in the escape. Sometimes it blocks it. If it is then turn the super through 90 degrees and it should be ok
E

Board has 2 holes, so they went on this morning Will update tomorrow how they worked.
Another question about super removal,the reason I'm taking it off is mentor recommended I should as it's quite full, two end frames not much in, but rest is mostly capped but some uncapped, and if weather got bad they could start using up what's in the super.

Board has 2 holes, so they went on this morning Will update tomorrow how they worked.
Another question about super removal,the reason I'm taking it off is mentor recommended I should as it's quite full, two end frames not much in, but rest is mostly capped but some uncapped, and if weather got bad they could start using up what's in the super.

Firstly depending on how much is not capped you may need to check the water content.

Secondly, as stated above, if the weather DOES turn bad what are the bees going to survive on!?!?

Latest posts

Back