When to do my winter vape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Apibioxal go black?
I think it would as the sugars caramelise and then burn, but the OA should start sublimating within 20-30 seconds and carry on sublimating for the other 2 minutes the vapouriser is connected to the battery, and beyond that for a further minute or so after it has been disconnected

Does Apibioxal go black? You could try the proper stuff which should disappear completely off the pan in thirty seconds or less
That’s what I thought I bought the proper stuff from thorns, so it must be the pan that’s not getting hot enough. I’ll check the connections and have another go.

Do you know your battery is good?
My cheap vape pan works fine and as said above the crystals disappear completely after 3 mins of power-on. Thornes OA. No black residue...
Might be worth you doing a test where you can see what's happening, say in the middle of a field standing upwind. Make the connection, watch the cloud form and the crystals disappear. Check your battery voltage before and after the test. There should be very little difference with a good battery...
K ;)

Do you know your battery is good?
My cheap vape pan works fine and as said above the crystals disappear completely after 3 mins of power-on. Thornes OA. No black residue...
Might be worth you doing a test where you can see what's happening, say in the middle of a field standing upwind. Make the connection, watch the cloud form and the crystals disappear. Check your battery voltage before and after the test. There should be very little difference with a good battery...
K ;)
Battery has the green indicator light. However one of the wires was loose at the crocodile clip. I’m going to ‘solder’ on 😛and try the test that you’ve suggested. I have the face mask etc.

I vaped for the second time on Wednesday. But only about 30 mites dropped
Previously vaped in November: After advice off this forum. I bought a cheap vaping pan off Amazon but It doesn’t seem to get hot enough. The powder goes black but takes at least 4hours! I got a decent mite drop after repeating the vaping back in early November. There was minimal “smoke” from the sublimation I’m using a caravan leisure battery.

Is my vaping pan no good?
Sounds like a heavy battery😟 I used to use a motability scooter battery but now I prefer gas vap.

After the really cold spell we’ve just had and then adding a few days on giving 11 to 12 days so pretty sure that there will be very little if any sealed brood.
The science clearly shows that getting rid of as many varroa as possible in early winter gives the best start for the following year.
When I see those words “the science clearly shows“ I tend not to believe it!
However, I will be vaping when the rain stops……sometime soon.

When I see those words “the science clearly shows“ I tend not to believe it!
However, I will be vaping when the rain stops……sometime soon.

Doesn't the science clearly show that vaping is an effective treatment against varroa, too? :D

James

Heath Robinson at work here - down draught sublimation via feed hole. plywood box for pan heater with draught excluder seal, Perspex viewing top, rain water downpipe, old PC fan, scuba dive weight for stability.
(The bangs are coming from the MOD firing range nearby)

View attachment VID_20231202_121446709.mp4

Last edited:
Doesn't the science clearly show that vaping is an effective treatment against varroa, too? :D

James
Yes, that’s why I’ll be vaping when the rain stops.

Heath Robinson at work here - down draught sublimation via feed hole. plywood box for pan heater with draught excluder seal, Perspex viewing top, rain water downpipe, old PC fan, scuba dive weight for stability.
(The bangs are coming from the MOD firing range nearby)

View attachment 38310
Someone after my own heart! Brilliant 😄

Latest posts

Back