OA vaping timings.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell1985

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good afternoon.

I treated with Apivar strips at the end of August and planned to to OA vape in winter.

My understanding of the “ideal” time was when it’s cold enough that the bees are not flying but warm enough that they aren’t too tightly clustered.

Until last week the bees were still flying and this week it’s gone to minus figures. Next weekend it’s supposed to be around 7 degrees here so that seems like a sensible day to be doing it.

Is my logic and understanding correct (enough) or have I messed up?

you don't have to worry if bees are flying - I don't know where they got that nugget from.
a prolonged cold period will probably stop them brooding, which is what you want, but having them in too tight a cluster is not ideal, so yes, next weekend sounds a good plan - if bees are flying - no big deal, they'll get a dose from the other bees when they come back.
It crept up to 0°C at around lunchtime in the home apiary a couple of days ago - and some of the hives which got the sun for a while had bees flying out and back

you don't have to worry if bees are flying - I don't know where they got that nugget from.
a prolonged cold period will probably stop them brooding, which is what you want, but having them in too tight a cluster is not ideal, so yes, next weekend sounds a good plan - if bees are flying - no big deal, they'll get a dose from the other bees when they come back.
It crept up to 0°C at around lunchtime in the home apiary a couple of days ago - and some of the hives which got the sun for a while had bees flying out and back

Thanks very much :) that’s the plan sorted then.

Back