Best time to vape bees in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But my point is why allow yourself and those around you for that matter to be constantly on the precipice of a serious infestation.
At what point do you consider the situation not to warrant attention -given the pests exponential abilities.
To say treatment (and I have been meaning OA by vaping-) is unnecessary is admitting the antivax/covid denial lobby are justified.
As said before before by multiple contributors they wont get immune from physical harm- thats a job for evolution and its not going to happen in our great grandchildrens lifetimes.
The dinner plate analogy was perhaps over animated (and given my experience of humans ,I rate them just behind varroa in desirability myself so I wouldnt be too alarmed in that scenario)so bring it a bit closer to home
Many of us reading the thread will have dearly loved dogs and ponies-what level of infestation would you allow your companion to suffer from these things whilst they pass on Phf or parva.
Treatment free and hope they develop immunity by teatime?
Not on my watch!
I'm not going to debate this with you further I'm afraid. You clearly have no idea about what I am talking about ... I think you need to re-read what I've said and THINK ...

Some beekeepers discover huge mite numbers in their colonies and the course of action is to treat over and over and/or use of a different product as well. I can understand we all love our bees but are these beekeepers making a note of these colonies and requeening them at the first opportunity from stock that does a better job of managing the situation? Propping up colonies crawling with mites is not the answer, the bees should at least try to help themselves or we will get nowhere.

That last word struck a resounding chord. Where is RAB these days? ☺️
he is still around and watching (sometimes in bemusement) over us
But at the moment, has more important thing occupying up his mind, hopefully he will have some time to give us a sprinkling of his wisdom before long (God knows, even from one who has endured his ire in the past) it's definitely not long overdue

Some beekeepers discover huge mite numbers in their colonies and the course of action is to treat over and over and/or use of a different product as well. I can understand we all love our bees but are these beekeepers making a note of these colonies and requeening them at the first opportunity from stock that does a better job of managing the situation? Propping up colonies crawling with mites is not the answer, the bees should at least try to help themselves or we will get nowhere.
I treated mine mid September, five vapes to produce a next to zero drop from each colony. I have a few Zest hives nearby that the keeper believes need no treatment as varroa can’t thrive in the humid atmosphere in the Zests.
I have just vaped mine again and am dismayed at the large drops from both colonies. I can only think that with the extended good weather through October and into November, my bees rubbed shoulders with others that re infested them. Also, brooding continued without a break. I don’t blame it on my queens / genetics and consider requeening pointless. As someone else said, it’s down to location, forage and neighbours. I would add the unusually long Autumn a factor too.

I have just vaped mine again and am dismayed at the large drops from both colonies. I can only think that with the extended good weather through October and into November, my bees rubbed shoulders with others that re infested them. Also, brooding continued without a break.

And remember that if there is never a brood break, all it takes is one live mite surviving the treatment to start everything off again straight away.

James

And remember that if there is never a brood break, all it takes is one live mite surviving the treatment to start everything off again straight away.

James
Yes, sadly it is so.
Grrrrrr!

Back