When to do my winter vape?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I vaped four times in September and intend to do one more vape nowish as they should hopefully be broodless.

It’s been very cold here in Cumbria and I can see the bees clustered right under the clear crown board. Should I wait until it warms up a bit and the cluster isn’t so tight or just go ahead and vape now?

No mad rush just yet so keep an eye out for the weather during the next 14 days. Ideally one wants a looser / open cluster.
Cumbria temps will vary depending on location.

For me Friday or Monday is looking best with double digit temps forecast.

With the current weather and as it has been for a week or two now, it is simply a case of picking your opportunity. Very few colonies will have much or any brood.

Im going to go for it either tomorrow or Saturday 👍

Vaped my six today either side of noon, nice dry and quite pleasant in the autuminal sun (underfoot though very squelchy).
Used the cheap varrox from Fruugo and another pan type which worked well , set them up in tandem to vape a pair at a time.

Ive done mine today with a Gasvap. All the experts seem to recommend early December rather than the Christmas - New Year week.

Ive done mine today with a Gasvap. All the experts seem to recommend early December rather than the Christmas - New Year week.
:iagree: My impression is that the original advice to vape at New Year has been superseded by recommendation to vape as early as second half of November.

:iagree: My impression is that the original advice to vape at New Year has been superseded by recommendation to vape as early as second half of November.
After the really cold spell we’ve just had and then adding a few days on giving 11 to 12 days so pretty sure that there will be very little if any sealed brood.
The science clearly shows that getting rid of as many varroa as possible in early winter gives the best start for the following year.

I vaped today…my two on solid floors went well. When I opened the entrance afterwards a good number of bees marched out showing their disapproval.

It’s pretty windy though and the colonies with OMF seemed to lose a lot of the vape out the bottom (even with inspection trays in). No bees came out after I opened the entrance again so I don’t think they got a proper dose…I’ll try again on a day with no wind.

All colonies looked to be doing well through the clear crown boards.

No bees came out after I opened the entrance again so I don’t think they got a proper dose
why would you assume that? I seldom get any kind of reaction when vaping at this time of the year - don't even bother closing up the entrances

My colonies hum once treated for a few minutes.
With my ufe's with 3/4 mesh floor I simply pop in the varroa board ( the front of which I buts up to the front rail to seal ) ,then a bit of foam to seal the rear. I only get a small amount of vape escaping from the entrance.

To allow for any vape loss if concerned, then simply measure out a slightly larger dose of 2.5 -3g.

why would you assume that? I seldom get any kind of reaction when vaping at this time of the year - don't even bother closing up the entrances
Because the bees in the other hives (solid floors) all came piling out afterwards . Also because there was a big cloud of vape came out underneath the OMF hives and barely any escaped from the hives with solid floors.

Only a five minute job so I’ll probably do it again on the OMF hives to be safe

I vaped today…my two on solid floors went well. When I opened the entrance afterwards a good number of bees marched out showing their disapproval.

It’s pretty windy though and the colonies with OMF seemed to lose a lot of the vape out the bottom (even with inspection trays in). No bees came out after I opened the entrance again so I don’t think they got a proper dose…I’ll try again on a day with no wind.

All colonies looked to be doing well through the clear crown boards.
If there on a stand or pallet I use some old tea towels as a skirt around the hive mainly round the back if I’m vaping through the entrance on windy days it helps .

there was a big cloud of vape came out underneath
which was probably only a fraction of the sublimated OA, people really do get a bit over anal about sealing off the hive, there is no need to.
Some bees will come piling out, whilst other neighbouring do nothing - it is absolutely no indication of the efficacy of an individual treatment

I vaped for the second time on Wednesday. But only about 30 mites dropped
Previously vaped in November: After advice off this forum. I bought a cheap vaping pan off Amazon but It doesn’t seem to get hot enough. The powder goes black but takes at least 4hours! I got a decent mite drop after repeating the vaping back in early November. There was minimal “smoke” from the sublimation I’m using a caravan leisure battery.

Is my vaping pan no good?

Latest posts

Back