Unwelcome visitor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBird

Lakes bee from Mungrisdale near Keswick
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 WBC & 2 Abelo 12 frame national poly
This afternoon I decided to do some prep with a view to vaping following this cold snap. To check for natural varroa drop I put a new piece of correx under my OMF then decided to take out OMF to clear away any dead bees. When replacing it I was shocked to see a critter drop onto the correx (photo) although it was dead and perfectly preserved I was shocked 😳. Looked it up and think it is a carpenter ant?
I’m not sure what to do, nothing at this time of year I expect? I did my final inspection for winter in 27th Oct when I removed the apistan strips and everything looked good, plenty of stores, they are on double brood in a WBC hive. The hive is sited on a large concrete slab which has a hardcore surround so nothing growing under or immediately around the hive and I have a mouse guard on. Put some fondant top of the insulated crown board on Tuesday could see the bees clustered near the top of the upper BB. Do you think other ants could have taken up residence in the hive since I inspected at end of October? Could they harm the colony? I’ve never seen an ant as big as this before looks like it’s from the jungle rather than north Cumbria 🫣. Suggestions or info welcome C98A3241-22C8-44D6-B6E8-045C498D1B9E.jpeg8241EE59-72B3-4F67-A538-94B9BD9017CD.jpeg

Looks like it's been in a bit of a fight given the missing legs, parts of legs and antennae. Not 100% sure it's a carpenter ant, but I can't think of any better suggestions.

James

probably a bumble bee that's been stripped of all its fur after the bees 'dealt' with it, seen it a few times.
As for ants - in the UK ants and bees coexist happily so no need to get involved.

Thanks for your help, I must say I am relieved 😮‍💨. I took a google picture and it said carpenter ant. I should have remembered the occasion when I took a picture of a strange looking caterpillar and google said it was a French fry🤢🤮🤣🤣🤣

Struggling with how to edit a post, every time I try I seem to send another should maybe quit while I’m ahead 🤯

Actually I'm more concerned about the number of people who seem to recognise a naked bumble bee so easily...

James
It’s the influence of this forum. The first naked bumble I ever saw was here in these pages. In fact I’ve seen a few now

It’s the influence of this forum. The first naked bumble I ever saw was here in these pages. In fact I’ve seen a few now
I’ve learned so much from this forum, but never imagined that would include recognition of a naked bee. Everyday’s a school day, thankful to have knowledgeable and experienced beekeepers to help me :)

This afternoon I decided to do some prep with a view to vaping following this cold snap. To check for natural varroa drop I put a new piece of correx under my OMF then decided to take out OMF to clear away any dead bees. When replacing it I was shocked to see a critter drop onto the correx (photo) although it was dead and perfectly preserved I was shocked 😳. Looked it up and think it is a carpenter ant?
I’m not sure what to do, nothing at this time of year I expect? I did my final inspection for winter in 27th Oct when I removed the apistan strips and everything looked good, plenty of stores, they are on double brood in a WBC hive. The hive is sited on a large concrete slab which has a hardcore surround so nothing growing under or immediately around the hive and I have a mouse guard on. Put some fondant top of the insulated crown board on Tuesday could see the bees clustered near the top of the upper BB. Do you think other ants could have taken up residence in the hive since I inspected at end of October? Could they harm the colony? I’ve never seen an ant as big as this before looks like it’s from the jungle rather than north Cumbria 🫣. Suggestions or info welcome View attachment 34652View attachment 34653
I watched the Apis balled up around a Bumblebee in an observation hive in a tree trunk. when the Apis dispersed was amazed to see wings and hair all burnt off and just the black shell body left

I had one of these bumblebees this summer -assumed she couldn't find her way out again. It looked as though d=the bees had coated her in propolis to prevent her rotting. Is this correct? Like the Egyptian queens?

Latest posts

Back