Cleaning off Wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
What's the best way to clean off wax. I am trying to have a clean down before winter. I have a plastic queen excluder that has wax and propolis on it. Also some wax smears inside my extractor.
What is the best way to clean it off?
Thanks

Try soaking in washing soda, alternatively buy a wire one, then you can blow torch it.

Put it in the freezer for while then use hive tool then use hot water with washing soda

The easiest way is to wait until temps are below freezing and the wax will just crumble away with little effort

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Put it in the freezer for while then use hive tool then use hot water with washing soda
:iagree:
I use the wire ones and clean them up with a blow torch. Don't know what to suggest regarding your extractor though, not had that problem but I wouldn't use soda crystals on it as it will react with the steel I guess.
Andy

I tried the blow torch thing my first year and all I did was chase the wax around the QE with the torch, believe wait until Christmas time and the stuff comes off very easily, you can scorch them after to sterilise them

Always use cold water to clean your extractor.

Craig

Don't know what to suggest regarding your extractor though, not had that problem but I wouldn't use soda crystals on it as it will react with the steel I guess.

Actually Washing Soda solution and Stainless Steel are best friends. My hive tool lives in the stuff.

However Washing Soda does 'tarnish' Aluminium ... something to watch out for.

agree they are only a few pounds each in the winter sales, i bought 5 for £5 last year, still the same price in this years sales

Sheet type QXs can indeed be very cheap.

However, I was thinking that some freezer spray might be helpful in removing wax more generally, when it was somewhere you'd rather it wasn't!

Sheet type QXs can indeed be very cheap.

However, I was thinking that some freezer spray might be helpful in removing wax more generally, when it was somewhere you'd rather it wasn't!

Is the spray food safe ?

Craig

Is the spray food safe ?

It leaves no residue, but I'd hesitate to use it for making ice cream ... (Heston uses liquid nitrogen ...)

I was thinking mainly of cleaning up wax 'accidents' ...

Latest posts

Back