Cleaning plastic excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Anyone got any clever ways of cleaning wax off plastic excluders, I have several that got welded down with brace comb. I've scraped the majority off but there's lots of semi-blocked holes to clean out. Obviously a blowlamp to melt the wax off like I would do with metal ones isn't an option!

Freeze and tap off but to tell you the truth it’s still a pain. My Thorne plastic ones with a bee space rim are now just spares.

Anyone got any clever ways of cleaning wax off plastic excluders, I have several that got welded down with brace comb. I've scraped the majority off but there's lots of semi-blocked holes to clean out. Obviously a blowlamp to melt the wax off like I would do with metal ones isn't an option!

I have a Huge plastic farm sink that I put around fifty in at a time with two bags of soda Crystals and hot water, put a brick on top then leave for two days and hose off with the pressure washer. It's a simple way thats not as nasty as trying to scrub them. To be totally honest, I only payed 45p each for a couple of thousand and if a few have to go into the recycling it doesn't matter.
I then put in another batch & leave for about a week, takes longer second time because the water is cold, but still works.
One of my winter jobs this years is making a trough for cleaning frames that will have two propane burners underneath for water heating.

I have a Huge plastic farm sink that I put around fifty in at a time with two bags of soda Crystals and hot water, put a brick on top then leave for two days and hose off with the pressure washer. It's a simple way thats not as nasty as trying to scrub them. To be totally honest, I only payed 45p each for a couple of thousand and if a few have to go into the recycling it doesn't matter.
I then put in another batch & leave for about a week, takes longer second time because the water is cold, but still works.
One of my winter jobs this years is making a trough for cleaning frames that will have two propane burners underneath for water heating.
I agree, I put half a dozen in a gravel tray with strong soda solution with a brick on them to keep them immersed. Leave them for a week and then give them a good brush off with a scrubbing brush. Power washer would work a treat if I had power at the apiary!

Gravel tray if you have patience.
I've given up on plastic and only use them if I am forced to seive out a shy queen.
You can safely use brillo pads and boiling water on metal ones
I'm phasing out the galvanised ones slowly and replacing them with thrones stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back