Cleaning a Poly Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Best method of cleaning the inside of a Poly nuc, and for storing it over winter?

Best method of cleaning the inside of a Poly nuc, and for storing it over winter?

If you feel you must clean them - Hot water and washing soda will fetch most things off ... I paint the inside of all my poly hives with my propolis varnish so after giving them a scrub and a rinse let them dry and then give them a freshen up with the varnish.

If the hive is relatiively clean and you haven't had any disease in there then there's no real need to clean them further .. just scrape off any wax comb they've attached to the walls, seal them up .. blast of wax moth treatment (Certan or Dipel) if there's been any sign of wax moths (as wax moths will destroy a poly hive in no time) .. the bees will be fine with them next season.

I spray mine with cillit bang after gently scraping the worst off. Leave overnight and wash off
Only if needed though.

Costco, and probably a few others, sell a plastic crate with a clip-on lid which is big enough to take a poly nuc. Takes about 10 litres of concentrated washing soda solution to fill about 1/3 deep. You can then insert poly nuc and clip on the lid. volume displacement raises washing soda level to about 2/3. leave for 2 days, then invert, and repeat. finally take out and rinse with clean water if you don't want a dry powder residue covering the nuc.

Unless particularly dirty, why clean it - the bees will have lined the whole interior with anti microbial propolis so it's better to leave it.
I leave mine stached up potside covered with a piece of tarpaulin - don't make it too cosy though or rats and mice might settle in and chew them to bits.

WHO cleans the holes feral bees use? :paparazzi:

Unless you have a notifiable disease, cleaning imo is a waste of time and money..

Ok so total spoon feed.

Page 9 on the fact sheet Hive cleaning and sterilisation. I cannot link to the precise page, page 9 as it's a pdf file.

PH

Ok so total spoon feed.

Page 9 on the fact sheet Hive cleaning and sterilisation. I cannot link to the precise page, page 9 as it's a pdf file.

PH
if that is a pop at me through your inability to post a suitable PDF file don't bother..Dani cleverly posted the link so you may need to ask advice on how to do such a task in the future..

Latest posts

Back