Bees cleaning supers after extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just extracted a super.

Should I put the super back on for a few days for the bees to clean the frames?

Then take off super and store for winter?

Just extracted a super.

Should I put the super back on for a few days for the bees to clean the frames?

Then take off super and store for winter?
Up to you some store them wet some store dry/cleaned……dry it won’t attract robbers or wasps, wet it’s less likely to attract wax moth……your choice!

If stored wet you will be greated with a smell of fermentation and a grey mould in the spring, don’t panic the bees will readily clean it all up.

Up to you some store them wet some store dry/cleaned……dry it won’t attract robbers or wasps, wet it’s less likely to attract wax moth……your choice!

If stored wet you will be greated with a smell of fermentation and a grey mould in the spring, don’t panic the bees will readily clean it all up.
I was thinking storing dry won’t be as messy, less dripping etc.

I think I’ll put them back on hive for cleaning. How long would be sufficient for the bees to clean them?

I was thinking storing dry won’t be as messy, less dripping etc.

I think I’ll put them back on hive for cleaning. How long would be sufficient for the bees to clean them?
24-48hrs should be sufficient, if the boxes below are rammed with bees I’d add an empty super above the CB below the super to be cleaned.

Latest posts

Back