Chronic Migraine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige.Coll

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
some + a few more
Has anyone here suffered from this condition?
Atm this is a self diagnosis as the doctors seem to be unable to tell me why or what i am suffering from .
I have another appointment tomorrow to hopefully get somewhere with it.
Constant headaches for over a month now and chronic migraine fits perfectly to the symptoms. Got to a point the village chemist won't sell me tablets anymore and the doctors said the chemist has written to them about me buying tablets.
I've tried not drinking coffee or beer and tried cutting some foods out of my diet without any effect.
I'm already on tablets to stop migraines but lately they seem to be not working at all.
Those familiar with migraines will understand the problems they cause, these ones don't start with an aura like a normal migraine but are just as painful.

I know this isn't the place to ask such a question but it's worth a go.

Insist your doctor sends you to a consultant as an urgent case, as the migraine is affecting your life. There are much better treatments for chronic migraine than over the counter medicines, and there are also other reasons for getting constant headaches.

Has anyone here suffered from this condition?
Atm this is a self diagnosis as the doctors seem to be unable to tell me why or what i am suffering from .
I have another appointment tomorrow to hopefully get somewhere with it.
Constant headaches for over a month now and chronic migraine fits perfectly to the symptoms. Got to a point the village chemist won't sell me tablets anymore and the doctors said the chemist has written to them about me buying tablets.
I've tried not drinking coffee or beer and tried cutting some foods out of my diet without any effect.
I'm already on tablets to stop migraines but lately they seem to be not working at all.
Those familiar with migraines will understand the problems they cause, these ones don't start with an aura like a normal migraine but are just as painful.

I know this isn't the place to ask such a question but it's worth a go.

Are there any other factors which may have a bearing?
Eye strain, injury, side effects from other medication, sleep apnoea - the list goes on..........

A consultant is definitely the way to go. They will be able to do tests such as an MRI scan that can show if you actually have a type of migraine or something else. They will then be able to get you appropriate treatment. It probably doesn't feel like it at the moment, but sounds like you have an 'on the ball' chemist.

Good luck!

Get an appointment at the migraine clinic, finding the right treatments is a bit of trial and error.

My sister has coped with Migraine for fifty years. In the early days she often took to a darkened room for a day. Things are much better now but you need a proper diagnosis. Get that referral and good luck.

My wife can't work under florescent lighting unless she wears dark glasses, it took the doctors, consultants three years to sort her out.

If the pain is unbearable go straight to the hospital.

Hope you get sorted soon.

As someone who has suffered from chronic migraines in the past I wish I could offer you some help. Alas, I was simply prescribed different drugs with variable effects. Nothing worked consistently.
You say the headaches is constant? Is the pain only on one side of your head?
The constant bit suggests that it is not typical of migraine, it's (at worse) up to 2-3 days in a dark room then all clear. Although there have been severe cases that lasted longer.
I used to suffer once a week in my teenage years, gradually died away in frequency to less than 1 a year now. No idea what the main trigger is for me, although peach juice was one trigger that caused mild ones for me.
If the quacks start messing you around and doesn't refer you to a consultant go to outpatients when you are suffering from an attack, they then have to see you and take action on that day! It may be along wait on the day though.....

Try aquapuncture worked in relieving symptoms with my daughters migrane

I'd never heard of it either but then I haven't practised for 8 years and things change rapidly.
Well, having B12 injected into acu points will take your mind off the pain in your head at least.

It's chronic migraine the doctor says.
A migraine headache without the warning aura that happens everyday always on the same side triggered by light or movement. Mine starts about 1 hour after I get up.
I've had it for a month now but it can last for 4 months sometimes longer. 1 in 100 are caused by something more nasty.
He thinks mine have become worse because of the TIA I had in 2013 but as I have suffered with migraines most of my adult life he thinks my age is a factor. Apparently 45 to 50 is when these type headaches happen if someone has suffered with normal migraines in the previous years.
He seemed to know a lot about migraines so fingers crossed it will go away with the new drugs.
If no better in a week or so I have to go back and a visit to the hospital may have to be arranged.
Don't like MRI scans they make my wrists burn due to the metal implants in them lol.

I've had acupuncture for other muscle related problems and it does work. Not sure about head aches.

ever had ,or thought of a thyroid test..

Wow, nice to see there are lots of doctors on here as well as beekeepers. I'll stick with going to the doctor, theres more answers than for beek questions :icon_204-2:

It sounds appalling - my years of 1 or 2 or 3-day nauseating headache-type migraines were bad enough!

I did a lot of things to try and help with them - and probably you have too. Foods seemed irrelevant with me (though regular eating was important.) Avoiding dehydration I'm sure helped. Cranial osteopathy... improving my diet... trying to learn to deal with stress... getting enough sleep... a less stressful life... etc. etc. I'm sure all these did help (or helped with my health generally anyway) but I'm sure the most important factor was hormones. My migraines arrived with puberty and changed character during the menopause - the time when I know some other women develop them. I don't know if men too are more prone to them at certain times of life - ? I have only the occasional one now but they are not headachy - other phenomena instead (entertaining by comparison with the headaches!) The other thing I discovered was that my thyroid was underfunctioning. I know this is only my experience but I wonder if it's worth your trying to see an endocrinologist? Has anyone ever suggested it?

im not a dr .but my bad head ache's ,were associated ,with thyroid condition ,so you never no..

My wife is training in Reflexology and is currently treating a lady who has suffered migraine headaches for years. The migraines are so bad she was forced to give up work.
The migraine attacks are usually weekly, however since starting her course she is migraine free for the last eight weeks.
The lady in question is one of my wife's case studies and previously has tried numerous treatments.
Please note this is not an advert for my wife only an alternative suggestion once you have a proper medical diagnosis.
I hope all goes well with your diagnosis.

Latest posts

Back