cheap hive on Amazon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
hi all

just been looking at some stuff on the above site and thought i would see if they had any new beekeeping stuff in and saw this.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Bee-Hive-Flat-Pack/dp/B0051O4N1C/ref=sr_1_8?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1309290533&sr=1-8[/ame]

£105 was £250.

not sure think it is soft wood but could be wrong might be cedar but get lots with it what do people think?

good deal?

they any good? thinking of spare stuff as i have some vouchers to use up

it says it is cedar....... no mesh floor though?

it says it,s top quality cedar!!! but it also sounds like it,s from a petshop!!!!!! if you add on postage/frames/wax/varroa mesh it,s no cheaper (if at all) than what is offered ie bee,s on a budget. :reddevil:

it says it,s top quality cedar!!! but it also sounds like it,s from a petshop!!!!!! if you add on postage/frames/wax/varroa mesh it,s no cheaper (if at all) than what is offered ie bee,s on a budget. :reddevil:

For £105 + £9 shipping:
"a complete, flat packed, national Beehive made from top quality cedar
Comes with instructions, Verroa Floor (without mesh) with slide out inspection tray
Entrance block with summer and winter holes
1 x brood box, 2 x Super boxes all with metal runners
Queen excluder, Crown board and aluminum cover. NO GLUE or NAILS"

Ok, you still need frames and foundation, but it still seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Perhaps they are relying on the severely over-priced wired wax foundation for supers (at nearer 14 x 12 prices) to claw in the profit!

Perhaps they are relying on the severely over-priced wired wax foundation for supers (at nearer 14 x 12 prices) to claw in the profit!

That would be thier problem as we know how much to pay for foundation. we just buy from normal supplier and get a good deal on hive?

Have used Eas*pet before - always happy with products - although if you buy cheap expect cheap :)

I was offered Cedar hives complete 2 years ago for £60 each.
I took 4 of them just to try them.

Turned out they were imported from China,loads of wood filler had been used and they all ended up covered in a dry powder black mould.

I burnt two of them last year and have used the other two as swarm lures.

Maybe these are China imports as well? the advert states, -- Dispatched from and sold by Far East Direct Ltd.

The come from a firm called Easipet in Devon called Far East Direct UK Ltd. Lots of bad feedback for dog beds etc but just "Some items damaged and I have to return to swap having fully assembled." on the hives - early days yet...

Someone must have bought one and could review it here - I reckon Thornes budget with frames are better value...

R2

always wary of stuff like that on Amazon, especially when there's no user reviews either. Just from the photos the quality doesn't look that good but you never know. No intention of acting as a guinea pig though, think I'll be sticking to the smaller hand crafted guys from now on when it comes to brood boxes.

I was offered Cedar hives complete 2 years ago for £60 each.
I took 4 of them just to try them.

Turned out they were imported from China,loads of wood filler had been used and they all ended up covered in a dry powder black mould.

I burnt two of them last year and have used the other two as swarm lures.

Maybe these are China imports as well? the advert states, -- Dispatched from and sold by Far East Direct Ltd.

A useful warning.
Remember that these would be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, so could be returned for a full refund including postage and return postage if you are not impressed.

OFF TOPIC
Just checking the moderation software:
Th**nes (why is this starred?)
Cockcroft
Scunthrorpe
Shitsu
Paynes
Maisemore

R2

off topic
just checking the moderation software:
cockcroft
scunthrorpe
shitsu
paynes
maisemore

r2

lol lol lol

Had one delivered from these people recently. Good quality cedar with no filler or knots. Fitted together no problems.

Interesting as that contradicts the feedback on eBay. I guess that was a one off. Do they come with instructions?

OFF TOPIC
Just checking the moderation software:
Cockcroft
Scunthrorpe
Shitsu
Paynes
Maisemore

R2

It all depends on the amount of times a company name is used over a period of time on the forum.
The moderation software uses an algorithm.

There is an off topic and forum related feedback section you could of posted in,unless you just thought you would be clever?

There are some cheap WBC's on eBay too,

here

although I think the seller would be better off buying a box of matches :D

Back