changing floor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Someone kindly lent me some extra kit when the bees were doing well, I have one hive on a solid floor I'd like to return to him, is it completley the wrong time of the year , (nice and warm here today) to take out the floor and replace with a mesh floor or beg him to let me keep the bees on the solid floor overwinter?

Sorry, what's the issue here? Just change the floor, go on I dare you :ohthedrama:

Thanks I've had so many disasters this year I didn't want to add another

Beg to keep it for the winter. Or get to the T*****s sale tomorrow and buy your own....

Thanks all feeling in need of reassurance :thanks:

I changed a floor at the start of this week, if anything it's a little warmer now, my bees are busier today than I've seen them for a while so yes, go for it.

Two things -

1/ your brood box should (hopefully) be pretty damn heavy. Depending on your confidence in your own strength, getting help with the lifting might be a good idea.

2/ with a mesh floor, some of us think it is important (or at least better) to have any holes in the crownboard blocked off. Particularly through the winter. And the next step on the slippery slope to rationality is to put some foam insulation board (like Celotex) between roof and crown/coverboard …
The varroa inspection board would of course be out when you aren't actually counting mites.

A spare hive stand will make the jod easier

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Back