certan/b401 - do we not need a sticky ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did a demarree last week and at the weekend the frames that came out finally got a spray of certan and within minutes two caterpillars were out ready to be squished...guess the larvae had matured in the heat.

Checked the next day and another had come to the surface overnight.

Normally I spray the frames a few times over a few days to make sure I dont miss anything ...but glad I got that in the tool box and will try and spray frames closer to removal next time

Citrus ... Certan contains spores of the bacterium ... these have a long life. There should be no need to spray more than once per season for stored frames. The spores remain dormant until the larvae eat them, then they reactivate and the larvae are killed.

It's "fit and forget".

The way it works.
Wax moth caterpillar consumes beeswax comb sprayed with Certan ingesting the spores containing crystalline toxin (toxin is harmless to honeybees and man)
The Toxin binds to specific receptors on the cells of the gut wall. This damages and paralyses the gut stopping the larvae from feeding
Within hours the gut wall breaks down allowing the spores and the normal gut bacteria to enter its body cavity
The caterpillar dies in a couple of days from a combination of starvation and septicaemia as Bacilus thuringiensis and the gut bacteria multiply in its haemolymph

Citrus ... Certan contains spores of the bacterium ... these have a long life. There should be no need to spray more than once per season for stored frames. The spores remain dormant until the larvae eat them, then they reactivate and the larvae are killed.

It's "fit and forget".

True that .. but I think I missed a part of a frame and did have a hint of moth action over winter ... given I have a massive tub of the stuff ... I just give em another blast !

but respect to theapiarist for this wonderful weapon !

Back