Censorship

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Censorship is not a word I like associated with the forum.
I have not had a chance to chat with Hivemaker yet so it would be unfair to comment without hearing what pm's he has had /replied to.

From reading through the thread about a named supplier it looks like everything was ok until the suppliers name was posted rather than pm'd to other members.

Only last month I was threatened with legal action by one of the big beekeeping suppliers.

As a forum I like to be as open as possible BUT when the threat of legal action is put forward then we have to think very hard in regards to removing posts.

Admin.

Agree with admin on this one and I like everyone else want to know names of moresuppliers that don't deliver the goods but rules are rules and they were broken so Hivemaker removed them. Now if your PM had been intercepted and removed then that would have been a different matter and yes then that would have been censorship and unfair. If as admin states and things such as this leaves the forum open for libel suits then that could leave us without a forum which I for one would not like to see.

My main point is that should the moderator know the supplier that members are complaining about, he should leave it up to ADMIN to decide if the post should be removed, then it does not look like he is siding with a friend over the thread / complaint ??

as i have said, go through the original thread, i'd be surprised if you can find anything that i should not have posted

as i have said, go through the original thread, i'd be surprised if you can find anything that i should not have posted

That is untrue..you posted the entire e mail between yourself and the supplier,post 21, which was seen by other members, post 22, and reported by some of the members who saw it, until you edited it....the tread carried on for another 37 posts after your edit before it was then closed,not deleted.

If you're referring to Roger a.k.a. Norton then I would suggest that he is a reputable and honest retailer of Buckfast Queens.

I have never ever had any difficulties with him in the past and many experienced beekeepers on here import his stock (I'm one of them).

Don't rush to discredit just yet.

I am sure that he will see you right IF there is a problem.

EDIT: I see that you've edited/removed your last post
Formerly White Park Cattle on here................!

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23222&page=3

Last edited:
That is untrue..you posted the entire e mail between yourself and the supplier,post 21, which was seen by other members, post 22, and reported by some of the members who saw it, until you edited it....the tread carried on for another 37 posts after your edit before it was then closed,not deleted.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23222&page=3
All the tv programmes ie. cowboy builders give the persons in question a right of reply i personally would like to be warned of any problems people have had i think this a very helpfull part of the forum after hearing the accused icould then make up my own mind if i wanted to deal with them there are always two sides of a disagreement.

He says , they say ....

How many more posts are we going to get on this one? Give it a rest, please. The admin and the moderator must have the patience of Job to run this site!

Is there not fora for postal services you could spam? :hairpull:

this has nothing to do with postal services, and there is no he said she said. i have an issue with the manner in which a supplier reacted to a problem.

mike

If I was the district judge...

But this is an internet forum - it isn't audience-hunting television and it isn't a court of law. This 'case' would more than likely be dealt with using the 'small claims' procedure, and there should be an attempt at mediation first.

Making multiple posts and getting a friend to do the same, as well as handing out the 'guilty' suppliers name to anybody who asks, might not be the best way to reach a sensible resolution to the problem.

if you would like to see the mail i was sent by the supplier just ask, reasonable it isn't. you only find out how good someone is/isn't when there is a problem

Has the delivery arrived yet or have you got the tracking number, and if it did arrive were the queens okay?

hi chhis, no the queens havn't arrived, and the supplier has not/will not provide a tracking number.

mike

Making multiple posts and getting a friend to do the same, as well as handing out the 'guilty' suppliers name to anybody who asks, might not be the best way to reach a sensible resolution to the problem.

I think the shores of sensible have been left far behind and we've set course for tin foil land.

With regards the title of this thread, a moderator told me that he was concerned about a link to a BBKA Divisional website advertising an event because the website itself had a page on it that linked to various suppliers. Perhaps we should all take a moment to read this Forum's rules (not what we think/recall the rules say) before commenting further. :hairpull:

As to the rights and wrongs of posting an issue with a supplier, I read a while back of a supplier who was acting inappropriately in the supply of Nucs and other bee related items, there were/is a number of threads on the person.
Not intending to dig that issue up but indicate that in the past the forum has tolerated such posts.

Clearly the forum is administrated by those who’s name is on the door, liable and defamatory comments are an everyday danger to be rightfully safeguarded from more importantly for the owner.

Who the person is that is being ‘disrespected’ was suggested by another commenter, and possibly by the poster but it is suggested that the poster edited their post. Without knowing all the details is it possible they were showing responsibility? Just a thought.... it is one possible view.

I did find a balanced comment from another site on the subject [I will not post a link as it may lead to advertising... ;) ]

I have underlined the last para perhaps it should be in the forum rules and a condition of being permitted to post on this forum. Admin?
Is not the good or bad service of any supply within this industry a reasonable subject for open discussion? If it is not then perhaps only threads directly related to day to day bee husbandry issues should be for discussion, lest exceptions be created and bad feeling begin to develop.
As for suppliers threatening to sue, if the comment is true and honest they can threaten forever, those threats should be posted so that we can choose not to buy their products and support admin in any fight that might ensue.

Quote >>>
“In the olden days...

Before the internet, the only people with the real power to communicate en masse to people were the newspapers, publishing houses and broadcasters. These organisations understood the risk of defamation and would employ people to read for defamation before something was published. That’s because under defamation law publishers are liable for defamation as much as authors. So, even taking a reader’s letter and reproducing it could potentially cause a newspaper to be liable as a publisher. Sometimes the publisher would take the risk of publishing in the interests of higher readership, other times it would not. But, it was always a calculated decision.

The internet changed all of that

With the advent of the internet, every person now has the ability to publish to a potentially wide audience and online forums increase the potential to reach that audience. The problem is that publication is now instantaneous and it is often impractical to check the content for defamation before it is posted on the web.

This exposes the regular person to claims of defamation and also this puts the forum owner in somewhat of a predicament since the forum owner could be categorised as the publisher of such material. But how does the forum owner know the content is defamatory? For a start, the content could be posted before they even become aware of it and secondly, they have no time or resources to employ defamation readers to give them an answer.

You see, what may appear defamatory may not be defamatory because there are several defences to defamation. Perhaps the most common defence is that of “truth”, namely that whatever was posted was true. There is a similar defence of honest opinion which can be relied upon where the opinion expressed was generally held (in other words there must be some facts to substantiate the opinion). But, for the forum operator, how can he or she decide whether one of these defences applies? It is extremely difficult without proper investigation or expert advice. Therefore, should the forum owner exercise a higher degree of editorial control similar to a newspaper editor or magazine publisher?

Editorial control or not?

A few recent cases on defamation (one in the UK and the other in NZ) indicate that if a forum owner exercises a high degree of editorial control that could make the forum owner more likely to be liable as a publisher of defamatory content. Whereas, if the forum owner can establish that he or she had very little control over what gets published on their website then the ability to escape liability may increase.

However, that’s not to say that having a wilful disregard for what is published on your website will help either. Certainly, if a forum owner is made aware of the defamatory content there would appear to be an expectation on the forum owner to go about removing it. If the forum owner hasn’t removed it within a reasonable time then liability may attach.

Some practical steps for forum owners

So what practical steps can a forum owner take to limit any exposure? Here are some suggestions:

• Explain on your website that you have no editorial control over the published content but will investigate complaints thoroughly;

• Implement a procedure whereby third parties can complain about defamatory content and if necessary you will take down the offending comment after you’ve carried out an investigation;

• Make it a condition of your terms of use that any comments posted on the forum must either be true or be genuinely held honest opinions. Have an option to terminate the membership of any user who submits a post which breaches this rule;

Require your users to indemnify you for any loss that you suffer as a result of comments posted by them. Then if you do get sued, potentially you can make a claim against the author to recover any loss which you suffer."

well thats my two penny worth...

As to the rights and wrongs of posting an issue with a supplier, I read a while back of a supplier who was acting inappropriately in the supply of Nucs and other bee related items, there were/is a number of threads on the person.
Not intending to dig that issue up but indicate that in the past the forum has tolerated such posts.

Clearly the forum is administrated by those who’s name is on the door, liable and defamatory comments are an everyday danger to be rightfully safeguarded from more importantly for the owner.

Who the person is that is being ‘disrespected’ was suggested by another commenter, and possibly by the poster but it is suggested that the poster edited their post. Without knowing all the details is it possible they were showing responsibility? Just a thought.... it is one possible view.

I did find a balanced comment from another site on the subject [I will not post a link as it may lead to advertising... ;) ]

I have underlined the last para perhaps it should be in the forum rules and a condition of being permitted to post on this forum. Admin?
Is not the good or bad service of any supply within this industry a reasonable subject for open discussion? If it is not then perhaps only threads directly related to day to day bee husbandry issues should be for discussion, lest exceptions be created and bad feeling begin to develop.
As for suppliers threatening to sue, if the comment is true and honest they can threaten forever, those threats should be posted so that we can choose not to buy their products and support admin in any fight that might ensue.

Quote >>>
“In the olden days...

Before the internet, the only people with the real power to communicate en masse to people were the newspapers, publishing houses and broadcasters. These organisations understood the risk of defamation and would employ people to read for defamation before something was published. That’s because under defamation law publishers are liable for defamation as much as authors. So, even taking a reader’s letter and reproducing it could potentially cause a newspaper to be liable as a publisher. Sometimes the publisher would take the risk of publishing in the interests of higher readership, other times it would not. But, it was always a calculated decision.

The internet changed all of that

With the advent of the internet, every person now has the ability to publish to a potentially wide audience and online forums increase the potential to reach that audience. The problem is that publication is now instantaneous and it is often impractical to check the content for defamation before it is posted on the web.

This exposes the regular person to claims of defamation and also this puts the forum owner in somewhat of a predicament since the forum owner could be categorised as the publisher of such material. But how does the forum owner know the content is defamatory? For a start, the content could be posted before they even become aware of it and secondly, they have no time or resources to employ defamation readers to give them an answer.

You see, what may appear defamatory may not be defamatory because there are several defences to defamation. Perhaps the most common defence is that of “truth”, namely that whatever was posted was true. There is a similar defence of honest opinion which can be relied upon where the opinion expressed was generally held (in other words there must be some facts to substantiate the opinion). But, for the forum operator, how can he or she decide whether one of these defences applies? It is extremely difficult without proper investigation or expert advice. Therefore, should the forum owner exercise a higher degree of editorial control similar to a newspaper editor or magazine publisher?

Editorial control or not?

A few recent cases on defamation (one in the UK and the other in NZ) indicate that if a forum owner exercises a high degree of editorial control that could make the forum owner more likely to be liable as a publisher of defamatory content. Whereas, if the forum owner can establish that he or she had very little control over what gets published on their website then the ability to escape liability may increase.

However, that’s not to say that having a wilful disregard for what is published on your website will help either. Certainly, if a forum owner is made aware of the defamatory content there would appear to be an expectation on the forum owner to go about removing it. If the forum owner hasn’t removed it within a reasonable time then liability may attach.

Some practical steps for forum owners

So what practical steps can a forum owner take to limit any exposure? Here are some suggestions:

• Explain on your website that you have no editorial control over the published content but will investigate complaints thoroughly;

• Implement a procedure whereby third parties can complain about defamatory content and if necessary you will take down the offending comment after you’ve carried out an investigation;

• Make it a condition of your terms of use that any comments posted on the forum must either be true or be genuinely held honest opinions. Have an option to terminate the membership of any user who submits a post which breaches this rule;

Require your users to indemnify you for any loss that you suffer as a result of comments posted by them. Then if you do get sued, potentially you can make a claim against the author to recover any loss which you suffer."

well thats my two penny worth...

:iagree:

Oh....mediation by the supplier....??...like it or lump it, good way of mediation, you would be good on the bench

Being a retired judge

You can be what, or who, you like on the internet, but even a retired judge should know how mediation works and should know that certain actions (and interferences) can be detrimental to the whole process of mediating a problem - and should also know that mediation is never one sided and that the resolution of a dispute is not controlled by the mediator(s).

I think the shores of sensible have been left far behind and we've set course for tin foil land.

Last edited:
It is quite common on Fleabay that your only recourse is to claim compensation from the postal service, but proof of purchase,and proof/tracking/ date sent is needed

even that big book supplier based in Luxemburg will not pay return postage for items from German sellers even if the item is faulty...cost me £33 postage to return a faulty microscope becasue i wanted a refund not a replacement

i assume you have at least made a claim to the Postal service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back