Cautiously optimistic newbie!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep both poly and wood. At the moment I have one wooden hive more than I have cosies so it simply has a deep Abelo roof and some PIR on top of the crown board. The bees are clustered in this cold weather. The bees in the polys are walking about. I find that "active" bees consume fewer winter stores.

View attachment 34622
That video is amazing.

What camera equipment do you have to record that?

I'm doing more planning ahead. With regards to getting my first colony, assuming I don't bail out during the course, it appears the time to get a small colony in a nuc (at least when buying them) is around April to May. Is this when I should expect to get my first?

It also appears that a lot of them are supplied on National frames, so as a beginner it would seem logical to go that route, rather than Langstroth or other other hive form, purely for ease of transferring the colony from the nuc to the hive. Does that sound sensible? Obviously I'll also see what the local association members use, so I can get familiar with the equipment and potentially match them.

I'm doing more planning ahead. With regards to getting my first colony, assuming I don't bail out during the course, it appears the time to get a small colony in a nuc (at least when buying them) is around April to May. Is this when I should expect to get my first?

It also appears that a lot of them are supplied on National frames, so as a beginner it would seem logical to go that route, rather than Langstroth or other other hive form, purely for ease of transferring the colony from the nuc to the hive. Does that sound sensible? Obviously I'll also see what the local association members use, so I can get familiar with the equipment and potentially match them.
Black Mountain Honey do Langstroth nucs.

I keep both poly and wood. At the moment I have one wooden hive more than I have cosies so it simply has a deep Abelo roof and some PIR on top of the crown board. The bees are clustered in this cold weather. The bees in the polys are walking about. I find that "active" bees consume fewer winter stores.

View attachment 34622
Great vid

Last edited:
I keep hearing good things about the Honey Paw Langstroth hives, on just about any YouTube video I watch with them in. Stewart Spinks seems to be quite fond of them, and I've found his channel really informative.

A question about ordering bees... It would seem that a lot of bee retailers (beetailers? :D) are advertising pre-orders for 2023 delivery, with many stating that they always sell out. How hard is it, usually, to get bees around that time if not pre-ordering the year before? When I decide to get into it, I don't want to be delayed by stock issues, but at the same time I also don't want to rush into it now.

The best suppliers run out of early overwintered nucs quickly so you have to wait for summer ones
Thanks

I guess it comes down to confidence in staying with the bees post my course in February. I could put some money down on the bees now and risk losing it, since it's only a preorder deposit. I'm not sure how my wife will react to that! :ROFLMAO:

be patient, wait a while, there will be plenty of nucs and full colonies available throughout the year, your association may even put you in touch with a more local supplier. The big bee 'retailers' always sell their bees at a massive premium, especially in early spring when they know they can depend on those with more money than sense looking for replacement for the bees they let die over the winter.

There's no reason you couldn't put a bait hive out next April either. Given that you've said you're not very good with your hands you may need a little help to get it set up initially because (I'd suggest) frames with small starter strips of foundation are better than frames with full sheets, but if you can get that sorted and arrange for an entrance of an appropriate size then you could well end up with a colony (or several -- I captured four swarms in bait hives this year and none were from my own bees) for free. The one thing you don't have that's supposed to be good in a bait hive is a frame of manky old comb, but it's not strictly necessary (I had one that worked without).

I was late putting bait hives out this year, but still had two swarms arrive within three or four days of doing so.

James

Only issue with bait hives and swarms are all the issues that come with them, not a great start for a new-bee. Had some real horrors move into empty kit this year without my permission.

I do love the idea of catching a swarm, but at the same time, I feel like a purchased colony from a reliable well-known vendor would be better for my first year in it.

I think I may dip my toe in swarm catching in my second or third years, once I've got my feet properly wet. (Unless mine swarm and I need to catch them!)

I do love the idea of catching a swarm, but at the same time, I feel like a purchased colony from a reliable well-known vendor would be better for my first year in it.

I think I may dip my toe in swarm catching in my second or third years, once I've got my feet properly wet. (Unless mine swarm and I need to catch them!)
There's nothing like free bees once you have your eye in with decent stock. I don't need or even want any more bees but I still can't resist putting out a bait hive, monitoring g activity for a few days and watching a swarm arrive...magic. Never tire of it

I'm not going to manage waiting for a summer colony. I'm just not. My feet are twitching just thinking about getting stuck in.

I think I may bite the bullet, put deposits down and order some hives. :ROFLMAO:

The big question now is National or Langstroth. (I'm almost certainly going poly.)

I know National may make my like easier in terms of compatibility and widespread use, but I see a lot of very favourable comments about Langstroth.

I started with National. I lasted one season before going up to 14x12. I didn’t fancy double brood.
I have always used top bee space.
If I was starting again it would be with Langs.

Latest posts

Back