Cats and Veg plots

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait till there squating then shoot them -------with a bb gun where it hurts!

nothing worse than plating your seeds finding a cat has dumped a parcel and you got on your fingers

Cats and veg plots - How do you keep 'em off
Netting. We use insect mesh for almost all the veg plot, the fine stuff that keeps out carrot fly and leek moth.

It isn't just cats, it's foxes and hedgehogs too, so we always wear gloves as well as meking sure tetanus is up to date.

Last edited:
My mother's next door neighbour's cat seems to enjoy dumping her guts on any freshly prepared beds I've slaved over - i just get a hand shovel, scoop it up and chuck it back over into their garden.
My stepfather swore by used 2 litre plastic pop bottles filled with water and scattered around it apparently deters them - I prefer Winchester sub-sonic hollow points:eek:

I deploy a fox trap. When a cat is caught it is given a good soaking with two buckets of the coldest water I can find, the trap (and cat) is then given a good shake. Cat is then released and usually goes supersonic as it clears the fence never to be seen again:cheers2:

I deploy a fox trap. When a cat is caught it is given a good soaking with two buckets of the coldest water I can find, the trap (and cat) is then given a good shake. Cat is then released and usually goes supersonic as it clears the fence never to be seen again:cheers2:
not worthy
Can only dream of that in the UK, can see the hue and cry from the pitchfork brigade now!:eek:

I've tried one of the ultrasonic things and it was a complete waste of space. Cats shat within a few feet of it.

We also use fleece but the critters then perform on the paths between the beds and also amongst the fruit bushes.

I am wondering whether a low fence, say 3 feet high of loose fruit net might work. The aim being to have something they can't climb up without tangling but which is too loose for them stand on if they tried jumping up to the top of it. The posts would need something to stop the cats using them to climb up - such as spikes.

But does anyone have experience of electric fences to keep out cats? Such as one of these: http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/cats_out.asp

not worthy
Can only dream of that in the UK, can see the hue and cry from the pitchfork brigade now!:eek:

Don't see why as the cat is not actually harmed just freaked out and being an intelligent animal does not usually come back for a second dose:D

I had a Staffy in the UK which kept the garden a cat free zone so the fox trap was for foxes but did catch the odd nocturnal cat;)

Last edited:
First off I like cats (and dogs) and have one of each. The cat is actually very useful as a mouser. The dog I'm sure also has a role keeping the deer out of the garden.

I've found that the best way to deter cats from an area (without poisioning/killing!) is to give them a bloody good fright. In particular with cold water if at all possible. So if you can trap them then soak them they'll soon get the message.

Bobster

Grandad used to dab their bottoms with turpentine after catching in a ? fox trap... he was not particularly affectionate towards cats!

I'm not really able to be too beastly to living creatures, but have to admit to a degree of ill-will towards the young cat who adopted our garden, chased and caught many birds, tore my fleece cloche/tunnels to shreds and the veg inside, and peed on and killed several fairly precious plants. It was quite a shock one morning to find its dead, physically unmarked body on the patio. Took me two days of fairly hard work to find the owner - it spent much of its time in our garden but lived quarter of a mile away across a busy road - only to be accused of having harmed it! Had I not once lost a dearly-loved cat in a road accident and guessed at how distressed the owner might be I could have got madder with her than I ever had with the cat! It was up to her to find the cause of death, it was eighteen months old, so a bit young to have died of natural causes?
So try thinking evil thoughts against your feline visitors - you never know, it could work!

I have a battery operated sensor that sets off a five second burst of water when anything goes past it, good for cats dogs, deer and children and me when I forget about it!! Doesn't work when freezing though as it is always linked to a garden hose!!! So successful I have four of them!!

I'm not really able to be too beastly to living creatures, but have to admit to a degree of ill-will towards the young cat who adopted our garden, chased and caught many birds, tore my fleece cloche/tunnels to shreds and the veg inside, and peed on and killed several fairly precious plants. It was quite a shock one morning to find its dead, physically unmarked body on the patio. Took me two days of fairly hard work to find the owner - it spent much of its time in our garden but lived quarter of a mile away across a busy road - only to be accused of having harmed it! Had I not once lost a dearly-loved cat in a road accident and guessed at how distressed the owner might be I could have got madder with her than I ever had with the cat! It was up to her to find the cause of death, it was eighteen months old, so a bit young to have died of natural causes?
So try thinking evil thoughts against your feline visitors - you never know, it could work!

That was a catastrophe!

Netting or galebreaker round each raised bed. Netting over as required. Flipping nuisance but we have cats of our own, our only near neighbour's cats, collies with a penchant for eating veg as collies do, a battalion of free range chickens, the odd drove of escaped sheep and bullocks....so annoying though it is, it's worth it. However, shutting the greenhouse other residents would be great :banghead:.....

Grandad used to dab their bottoms with turpentine after catching in a ? fox trap... he was not particularly affectionate towards cats!

I've seen that one in action (granddad again when he was short of ammunition!) and it is fairly impressive - with dogs as well

Most of my plot is netted....but they always seem to be able to scrape a bit of it away..or sometimes even dump on the net....or just dump on a bit of the garden amongst some plants and shrubs.

Quite often it's one of our own cats who does it..I've taken to leaving a torch on the landing and I spy out the window every now and then..if I see her squat I get out and chase her...but she still persists!

When I was working I did actually recommend the catch and soak method to my clients.....but only sotto voce you understand. You only had to do it the once.
Shooting cats is cruel and bloody childish to my mind.

We are looking after my stepdaughter's cat while she and new bloke get drunk somewhere in Dublin.
It's digging all my indoor plants up and peeing in the soil...........What was that I said about shooting?

Latest posts

Back