Cambridgeshire hive called the "Cottages"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generalbelgrano

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have been told there is an old hive which was made after the first war in Cambridgeshire called the "Cottages".

Does anyone have any info about this hive?

first war in Cambridgeshire

I doubt even the first war in the Falklands was in 1982, but when was this war in Cambridgeshire? :)

Could it be 'The Cottage Frame Hive'?

Google 'beehive journal' and you will find hundreds of types of hive , its noted in there .

Sorry still dont know how to post links

I have been told there is an old hive which was made after the first war in Cambridgeshire called the "Cottages".

Does anyone have any info about this hive?

see this previous thread

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9101&highlight=cottage+hive

it is a basic un modified national type hive but although having the internal dimensions of a National was made of any wood available so the external dimension can vary but can still stack on a national

Northern Bee books do a cheap reprint (£1.50) of the plans "make a Cottage Hive" by John Phioos "step by Step easy to follow instructions using scrap timber"

it takes standard 14x8 natinal frames and nat super frames

Last edited:
Sorry still dont know how to post links

Just copy the address shown in the address bar of the page that you want everyone to see and paste it into the thread. Leave a space before and after the address and it should be available to all by clicking on it.

they were used by Chiver's fruit farms all around Cambs and Huntingdonshire, I have one which is used as bait hive, Olly they are still warring in the Fens never ended

Thanks everyone, it was the Cottager hive i was thinking of

Are they any good?

Where would i get one from?

:sport-smiley-002:
Olly they are still warring in the Fens never ended
what do you mean by that remark? Are you looking at me? Do ya want a thump booy?:sport-smiley-002::sport-smiley-002::sport-smiley-002:

As a hive, they were nothing special and not very compatible with stuff. I ditched mine over 30 years ago.

A similar hive to this (except it is double walled like a WBC) is the Th*rnes Centenary Hive which you can view on their website.
100 years ago a Wragby School master asked his friend, Edgar Henry Thorne, a local joiner and wheelwright if he could make him a beehive...............and we have been making them ever since.

To celebrate our 100 years of history we are introducing The Centenary Hive. This is based on drawings, old catalogues and anecdotal evidence of hives that Edgar was making in 1913.

It is an 11 frame hive, taking BS national frames. Double walled front and back with an impressive porch and lapped gable roof. All parts telescope over each other so the old trick of using Vaseline smeared along all edges is a must if the boxes are to separate easily.

The hive comprises an open mesh floor on splayed legs, brood body with integral porch and entrance slides complete with 11 DN4 frames, two supers complete with 11 SN4 frames, crownboard with two escapes, wire excluder and gabled roof.

they were used by Chiver's fruit farms all around Cambs and Huntingdonshire, I have one which is used as bait hive, Olly they are still warring in the Fens never ended

Especially warring with Doddingtonites and the likes!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back