Young hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeHans

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Do ant of you have any idea where I can find info on young hives/apiaries with drawings and pictures and historic info?

Do ant of you have any idea where I can find info on young hives/apiaries with drawings and pictures and historic info?
I'm not sure what you mean by "young" in this context. It might mean recently made or a new design or a new beekeeper starting out on the path of enlightenment with pictures of their set up? The blogs section of this forum might help if you spend some time reading through the various threads.

I'm not sure what you mean by "young" in this context. It might mean recently made or a new design or a new beekeeper starting out on the path of enlightenment with pictures of their set up? The blogs section of this forum might help if you spend some time reading through the various threads
As you might’ve guessed, English isn’t my native tongue.😅

So some clarification is in order.
By Young I mean the name. The name of the type of hive. Here’s a picture to illustrate.😁 I’ve been told that this hive is called “Young” hive. I’m after as much history and illustration of this hive I can find. I’m also interested in bluebrints of it, so I can make it for my own.😁👍

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
It’s ancient. From the middle of the 1800 to early 1900. That’s why I’m after as much info as I can.😊 The hive is from a Norwegian museum. And it’s in dire need of renovating. So that’s myplan.😁👍
As you said, the internet doesn't seem to know of Young hives. Did the museum know of the name of the inventor? I presume it's an unusual name in Norway :unsure:

As you said, the internet doesn't seem to know of Young hives. Did the museum know of the name of the inventor? I presume it's an unusual name in Norway :unsure:
Not usual no.👍 Ok, guess I need to start there. Thanks!😁

It’s ancient. From the middle of the 1800 to early 1900. That’s why I’m after as much info as I can.😊 The hive is from a Norwegian museum. And it’s in dire need of renovating. So that’s myplan.😁👍
Out of interest do you have pictures of the inside of the box? I'm intrigued as to whether it uses frames for comb, slats or if comb is attached to the underside of the lid or roof.

Out of interest do you have pictures of the inside of the box? I'm intrigued as to whether it uses frames for comb, slats or if comb is attached to the underside of the lid or roof.
Have a look!😄

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpeg
    IMG_0254.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0250.jpeg
    IMG_0250.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0248.jpeg
    IMG_0248.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
The two with gable roofs in the top photo are near identical to the 'Polish' one featured on Cushman's site, I suspect that basic pattern was used over a large piece of the continent - including Scandinavia.
I suspect @jarmo henttu remembers using them when they were all the height of fashion
So this might be a sentry box hive from Poland? Which time period are we looking at?

So this might be a sentry box hive from Poland? Which time period are we looking at?
apparently they were used by Polish refugees during the war - also used in Slovakia and the Czech republic

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back