No Queen, but only forager bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone
Today i went through one of my hives, found no queen, no eggs, no sealed brood no young bees just angry foragers.
My question is, is the hive being rubbed. If so what do you guys suggest to do with the hive full of angry foragers.
Kind Regards to everyone.

Hi everyone
Today i went through one of my hives, found no queen, no eggs, no sealed brood no young bees just angry foragers.
My question is, is the hive being rubbed. If so what do you guys suggest to do with the hive full of angry foragers.
Kind Regards to everyone.
If there is no queen and no brood and just older bees possibly laying workers ?
I would throw them out infront of another hive that’s queen right.

My question is, is the hive being rubbed.
I don't know - is it?
We need some more info, only your observations can tell us whether they are being robbed out. Is there any fighting going on? capping being ripped off? many dead bees in the hive?
Just because (if) the hive is queenless it's not a given that the hive is being robbed out.
When did you last inspect/see the queen and brood?
My first action would be to pop a test frame in there if they are not being robbed out

found no queen, no eggs, no sealed brood
As JBM said, put in a frame of open brood (into the centre of the nest). Do it today, check it in three or four days for EQCs and let us know the outcome.

Recommend that from now on you check your colonies every seven days without fail. To discover that you have no brood of any kind suggests that you haven't checked for a month, which is no help to a novice beekeeper. The window of opportunity to learn the seasonal cycle is short enough, so make use of weekly inspections to get the hang of what is going on before it becomes a calamity.

PS: bees do not become angry. That is an alarmist descriptive reserved for readers of the Daily Mail. Look at it instead as a defensive response to a malfunctoning colony.

I don't know - is it?
We need some more info, only your observations can tell us whether they are being robbed out. Is there any fighting going on? capping being ripped off? many dead bees in the hive?
Just because (if) the hive is queenless it's not a given that the hive is being robbed out.
My first action would be to pop a test frame in there if they are not being robbed out
I checked it 10 days ago, i saw the queen also sealed brood, i didnt pay attention to the capped honey. i looked at the board under the floor, there were not much torn capping

I don't know - is it?

As JBM said, put in a frame of open brood (into the centre of the nest). Do it today, check it in three or four days for EQCs and let us know the outcome.

Recommend that from now on you check your colonies every seven days without fail. To discover that you have no brood of any kind suggests that you haven't checked for a month, which is no help to a novice beekeeper. The window of opportunity to learn the seasonal cycle is short enough, so make use of weekly inspections to get the hang of what is going on before it becomes a calamity.

PS: bees do not become angry. That is an alarmist descriptive reserved for readers of the Daily Mail. Look at it instead as a defensive response to a malfunctoning colony.
Thank you for your kind reply, but plz dont tell me that i have not checked it for a month, i normally check them every seven days, the reason it went on to 10 days was because of the bad weather we have been having. when i said 10 days please believe me
Kind regards

There must have been no open brood in there tendays ago then which should have made you think why
From the scanty information we have been given it doesn't sound like they are being robbed (otherwise you would have witnessed carnage)
So, test frame, check after a few days and if you find queen cells, you need a new queen.

For worker brood it takes 21 days from egg being laid to worker emerging from the capped cell. Therefore if you have no capped brood the queen has not laid for 3 weeks. Drones take 24 days.
You say you saw the queen 10 days ago. What has the weather been like? Do they have stores? My queens went off lay a couple of weeks ago due to weather.
As suggested put in a test frame. Read it in 2-3 days and get back to us.
You really should have spotted a problem on your inspections before the last one when you did not see any eggs. To me , seeing eggs is more important than seeing the queen

Today i went through one of my hives, found no queen, no eggs, no sealed brood
If the queen ceased laying 24 days ago (drone gestation) then no brood would be seen today because all would have emerged.

If the queen ceased laying 21 days ago (worker gestation) then no brood would be seen today because all would have emerged.

When you saw the queen 10 days ago did you see eggs?

I have one like that. It was a supersedure but I’m pretty sure they are queenless. There are a lot of bees with their tails up when I open up and for me that’s really common in queenless colonies. Nevertheless I’ve popped a test frame in. In fact, two with sealed brood also in preparation for a new queen in three days.

Latest posts

Back