Young hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love a lost cause ..it looks like it's made of Oak judging by the grain pattern and patina .. will probably last longer than most of us on here ! I bet it weighs a ton with those double walls. Should be possible to restore it but I'd limit restoration to tightening things up and a bit of tidying or repair - if it's not going to be used for keeping bees - it didn't get that level of patina overnight. As my petrol head friends say- it's only in original condition once !

So, do you reckon the frames sat in the ledges at the top of the hive and the narrower section at the bottom was just a sump ?

do you reckon the frames sat in the ledges at the top of the hive and the narrower section at the bottom was just a sump ?
If it's anything like the one featured on Cushman's site, no frames, the bees just draw comb down from the roof

The two with gable roofs in the top photo are near identical to the 'Polish' one featured on Cushman's site, I suspect that basic pattern was used over a large piece of the continent - including Scandinavia.
I suspect @jarmo henttu remembers using them when they were all the height of fashion

I did not have those hives in Finland. In Norway katalogue I have seen new douple aparment hives.

Nowadays new guys have started to try many kind on strange hive models.

I did not have those hives in Finland. In Norway katalogue I have seen new douple aparment hives.

Nowadays new guys have started to try many kind on strange hive models.

Nothing like reinventing the wheel eh ? Good to see you are posting more - we missed you for a while. Are you well ?

I love a lost cause ..it looks like it's made of Oak judging by the grain pattern and patina .. will probably last longer than most of us on here ! I bet it weighs a ton with those double walls. Should be possible to restore it but I'd limit restoration to tightening things up and a bit of tidying or repair - if it's not going to be used for keeping bees - it didn't get that level of patina overnight. As my petrol head friends say- it's only in original condition once !

So, do you reckon the frames sat in the ledges at the top of the hive and the narrower section at the bottom was just a sump ?
Shouldn’t we be replacing the “rotten” or cracked wood? I agree we should change as little as possible. But “fix” it to the point that it will last another hundred years. Which time period is this from? Is it a Einraumbeute hive? Did it have frames for combs?

Shouldn’t we be replacing the “rotten” or cracked wood? I agree we should change as little as possible. But “fix” it to the point that it will last another hundred years. Which time period is this from? Is it a Einraumbeute hive? Did it have frames for combs?
Of course, if it's rotten then it has to be replaced but it's a museum piece ...like I said, it's only going to be original once - so, yes, fix it to the point where it can be viewed for another 100 years .. with the minimum you need to do to achieve that. A few people on here (including me) have scoured the internet for a hive like this one. The nearest was the Polish Sentry Hive identified by JBM .. it looks very similar apart from the distinctive 'sump' evident in the hive you have.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/polish_style_hive.html
How these hives were used is probably lost in the mists of time, who knows whether they were intended to have frames - more than likely in my estimation as free comb that deep would not be very manageable if honey production was anticipated..

There are some more modern hives that are using deeper narrower frames - even DerekM's PIR tree hives mimic the format found in hollow trees where the bees do build deep combs.

How these hives were used is probably lost in the mists of time, who knows whether they were intended to have frames - more than likely in my estimation as free comb that deep would not be very manageable if honey production was anticipated..
If you enlarge image 0251 there are reinforced rails both sides for frames to rest on. On the side walls it looks like streaks of propolis going downwards. The entrance is on one side of the hive and the doorway on the other side is for access to the frames. The wide ledge above the rails would more than likely be for insulation in winter and an area to place shallow boxes for honey production in the summer.

If you enlarge image 0251 there are reinforced rails both sides for frames to rest on. On the side walls it looks like streaks of propolis going downwards. The entrance is on one side of the hive and the doorway on the other side is for access to the frames. The wide ledge above the rails would more than likely be for insulation in winter and an area to place shallow boxes for honey production in the summer.
Looks likely ...

It reminds me very much of the DanishTrugstade (trough) hive; Trågkupa in Swedish. As JBM mentioned the style was found all over scandanavia.

Thanks for posting about this. Love the photos!

According to a polish beekeeping wiki that I use a lot the Young hive was "a demountable frame hive introduced in 1890 by I. Young, replacing the Dzierżon slab hives previously popular in Norway . Frame based on German solutions, standing, dimensions 220x366 mm."

It is not Dave Cushman's 'sentry' hive. It is hard to judge the scale of Dave Cushman's photo, but I think that is probably a Ciesielski hive (also known as a Slavic hive). With this hive the frames are slid out through a door on the end wall.

Your hive appears to have a removable or folding roof similar to the Polish Warsaw hive (my own interest). Another similar feature is the upper story. In this there would have been removable boxes containing wider honey frames. With the Warsaw hive I think these wider frames were introduced during the inter-war period (initially they were the same narrow width as the brood frame). The Warsaw hive has a side door, but this is just used to monitor the colony.

The Warsaw hive usually has two entrances on the long wall (cold way). Your hive has an entrance on the end wall (warm way).

Ukrainian hives are very similar to Polish hives. It was a Ukrainian who invented the Warsaw 'extended' hive - basically a dadant frame rotated 90 degrees. The German Einraumbeute is basically the same again.

Last edited:

According to a polish beekeeping wiki that I use a lot the Young hive was "a demountable frame hive introduced in 1890 by I. Young, replacing the Dzierżon slab hives previously popular in Norway . Frame based on German solutions, standing, dimensions 220x366 mm."

It is not Dave Cushman's 'sentry' hive. It is hard to judge the scale of Dave Cushman's photo, but I think that is probably a Ciesielski hive (also known as a Slavic hive). With this hive the combs are slid out through a door on the end wall.

Your hive appears to have a removable or folding roof similar to the Polish Warsaw hive (my own interest). Another similar feature is the upper story. In this there would have been removable boxes containing wider honey frames. With the Warsaw hive I think these wider frames were introduced during the inter-war period (initially they were the same short width as the brood frame). The Warsaw hive has a side door, but this is just used to monitor the colony.

The Warsaw hive usually has two entrances on the long wall (cold way). Your hive has an entrance on the end wall (warm way).

Ukrainian hives are very similar to Polish hives. It was a Ukrainian who invented the Warsaw 'extended' hive - basically a dadant frame rotated 90 degrees. The German Einraumbeute is basically the same again.
Terrific ... glad you were able to join us .. what a super first post. Tell us more about yourself and your beekeeping .. there's a whole section here for just that purpose. Welcome to the best beekeeping forum on the planet !

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/forums/new-member-introductions.65/

It is not Dave Cushman's 'sentry' hive. It is hard to judge the scale of Dave Cushman's photo, but I think that is probably a Ciesielski hive (also known as a Slavic hive). With this hive the combs are slid out through a door on the end wall.

Your hive appears to have a removable or folding roof similar to the Polish Warsaw hive (my own interest). Another similar feature is the upper story. In this there would have been removable boxes containing wider honey frames. With the Warsaw hive I think these wider frames were introduced during the inter-war period (initially they were the same short width as the brood frame). The Warsaw hive has a side door, but this is just used to monitor the colony.

Thank you all for your contributions. I’ve learned a lot since my original post. Thanks so much for that! And finally we found the “Young” hive. Thanks to Warsaw hive.👍 I’ve also gotten some info from a colleague in Norway. Let me share it with you. You probably won’t understand the writing. But it says the same as warzaw hive. Enjoy!😁👊

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0591.jpeg
    IMG_0591.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0

Btw van you hive me a link to The polish wiki?😁

Latest posts

Back