Buying land for an apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it true there is no inheritance tax on agricultural land?

neighbours, neighbours, neighbours, fences

We did what you hope to do but with horses and rare breed cows in mind. Many happy years but now one of those neighbours. Make absolutely sure there can be total access rights, no problems with fences and no options for a malicious person to cause you troubles. We have been visited by an amazing range of council officials who apologise but say that as a complaint has been made they have to come. I felt really sorry for the planning person who came in unsuitable shoes and had to view our two fields and the flooded muddy bit around the barn to see for herself our non-existent illegal building! If there is any chance that you are the sole obvious beekeeper you are a hostage to fortune if anyone gets stung. If you end up not being able to use you your land for beekeeping it's a lot of money and hope and great disappointment. Sorry if this sounds gloomy but five years of constant harassment gets you down

Wish I could find any land in the South of England at £1000 an acre .... £5000 is nearer the norm here and good land £10000 ... with any planning permission or water/electricity connected - seen it up to £100k an acre regularly and over that in the right location !
Not only in South England. I saw a report in a local paper while visiting relatives in the North Wales borders a year or more ago. Just over two acres on the edge of town with road access and not far from services had planning permission for a housing estate turned down locally. It was appealed and outline plans passed; then sold to developers for 2 million. Up the road there were fields of 5 acres available, with road access but far from services and no building permission. Asking price under 50 thousand. There's something deeply wrong with the planning system when a stoke of the pen increases the value 20 fold.

You might consider buying a small woodland. I bought a 13 acre beech wood in the Conwy Valley from the Forestry Commission in the early 80s for the price of a new Ford Cortina, and sold it 20 years later for the price of a new top of the range Range Rover. You can enjoy managing the wood, make space for some beehives and a caravan, get a small income from the timber, and watch the woodland increase in value. Be aware of the internet sites selling woodland. They buy cheap and sell very dear.

You might consider buying a small woodland. I bought a 13 acre beech wood in the Conwy Valley from the Forestry Commission in the early 80s for the price of a new Ford Cortina, and sold it 20 years later for the price of a new top of the range Range Rover. You can enjoy managing the wood, make space for some beehives and a caravan, get a small income from the timber, and watch the woodland increase in value. Be aware of the internet sites selling woodland. They buy cheap and sell very dear.

Have you seen the prices of them recently :hairpull:

Been keeping an eye out myself for a bit of land but all too expensive for me.

It's worth checking your local council website as they are selling every little pocket of land they own due to the new government budgets next year

Back