Buying a table saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my past life as a photographic set builder I have owned and used various makes of portable table saws.
Depending on what you want to push through it, the big problem is they can skitter across the floor unless fixed down.
As with other posts, making bevel cuts tend to give less than satisfactory results.
Good luck with your search.

I have a table saw I bought in 1974. Made by Rockwell...company now owned by Delta. Parts are still available...handles etc. Arbor is as good as it was when I bought it. Sawn many thousands of bee hive parts. No aluminum on this saw. So what I'm saying, find an older model in good condition

On sale in Lidl at present .... £14.99

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lidl-parkside-ash-filter-vacuum-attachment-3876068
Saw some in my local branch this week but you might need to move quickly as they were a january promotion..

I've had one for years now - brilliant ... it works really well with the Henry - the filter is great - takes out all the fine dust and fills up right to the top before you need to empty it. The filter just needs cleaning when you empty the can - bang it against the side of the can to shake the dust out, I've never had to replace the filter. It leaves the Henry bag empty. Great bit of kit.

For my lathe turnings (where the wood shavings tend to be a bit bigger) I bought one of these - they are sold under a variety of brands - mine has a 1600watt motor but they come in various powers and container sizes. I picked mine up as a catalogure return with damaged packaging for £49.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133660599339?hash=item1f1ecae42b:g:8goAAOSw1YNgItKJ
It has a bigger suck than the Henry and I also use that with a Lidl Ash can (I have two of them !)
Thanks xx

I got my rage saw 230v for £279 after a bit of google 😉

I've read that the Rage table saws use a non-standard arbor size which makes it more difficult to get alternative blades. Anyone know if that's correct?

James

I've been permission to buy a table saw which will in part be used for making/repairing beekeeping kit. Much as I'd like one, I really can't justify the cost of a decent "cabinet" type, but the reviews of cheaper models are not confidence-inspiring when it comes to build quality. Even the likes of DeWalt or Makita who I'd normally trust to make a reasonable power tool seem to have people reporting problems with fence or blade alignment.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for one that does the job it's supposed to do properly?

James
I am very happy with my Evolution Rage 5. The fence is locked at both ends and it is very easy to fold up. The arbor I think is non standard and Evolution have a limited range of blades. There is an adapter that to take standard blades. Watch the YouTube video reviews on it.

It looks to me as though the Rage 5 might be in the process of being replaced by the R255PTS, which looks near identical but seems to have a narrower table and a less powerful motor. Or the R255MTS which seems to have a fixed stand rather than the one with wheels. I suspect that's why Screwfix have been selling the Rage5 off. They already have the new one on the website.

James

Actually the different power motors might well be a typo on the Screwfix website by the looks of it. Reading the manuals they're listed as the same. The new model doesn't appear to come with the dust extraction hose though.

I think the table size difference is down to the Rage 5 having an extension on the left hand side that this one doesn't. I guess an extension wouldn't be very hard to make if I needed it and dust extraction hoses are fairly cheap.

B&Q appear to carry a different version with a single-ended fence and fixed pressed steel table extensions and no sliding section for the mitre clamp, but it does have an extraction hose.

If I decide I can't wait to get something used then this Screwfix one could be very tempting. And as it doesn't cost anywhere near as much as, say, the DeWalt 7485 (which doesn't come with a stand, either), I could be tempted to look for a planer/thicknesser with what's left over :)

James

I bought a Scheppach Ts2500 20 years ago and it's had lots of use and never let me down. It's been absolutely amazing.
Look for one that's second hand and/or buy the best you can afford.
A strong fence that has no flexibility in it when locked is essential.

Hi Jamez
I am currently using a 3 year old Makita mitre saw / chop saw to make replacement national hives and associated kit. I would normally make 10 hives per year and a similar number of nucs plus some light work for furniture restoration. I was amazed to find that the front end bearing was almost trashed when the saw became noisy recently. Having identified was the issue was I contact Hitachi spares only to be advised that the bearing came as part of a kit consisting of the housing, the bearing and a washer at a give away price of 113 euro. I subsequently visited my local bearing supplier with inner and outer bearing sleeves in hand and was advised that he had a 2 replacements bearings available, one at 4 euro and a second at 8 euro and even the cheaper one was far superior to the original. I purchased the more expensive stuck it in (5 minute job) and the saw is back in action. In conclusion I am convinced the only difference between the cheaper tools and more expensive saws within reason is the availability of spares at a premium price, plus extremely good marketing. Since Edison firstly invented the light bulb obselescence has been built into all products from white goods to car parts.

Last edited:
I quite like Einhell as a brand. This would be an example Einhell TC-TS 2225 U Table Saw 254mm with Stand 4006825641349 | eBay

But if you really want a cabinet saw have you considered second hand? I realise this one is a bit far for you to collect from but there's things like this Panel Saw Kity Table Saw 419 | eBay on EBay, that's not much more money than a new smaller model.

As for dust collection, has anyone on here suggesting types of vacuums tried or made a cyclone collector? They use a standard vacuum but by the time the air reaches the filters there's not much left to clog it up. Building the two-bucket cyclone is a guy that builds a lot of his own tools. I expect he's done a cabinet saw if you want. About the only thing he's not made (which would be difficult to do anyway) is a pillar drill.

I built a one bucket cyclone and attached our Dyson: works very well. About c 5 cms of wood dust in Fyson after an hour's work.

I've been permission to buy a table saw which will in part be used for making/repairing beekeeping kit. Much as I'd like one, I really can't justify the cost of a decent "cabinet" type, but the reviews of cheaper models are not confidence-inspiring when it comes to build quality. Even the likes of DeWalt or Makita who I'd normally trust to make a reasonable power tool seem to have people reporting problems with fence or blade alignment.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for one that does the job it's supposed to do properly?

James
Buy a quality bandsaw such as a Startright with 88inch blade. Much more versatile than a desk top saw.

If budget is not an issue I would recommend Makita every time and have used their kit professionally for nearly twenty years.

Lawson HIS are a good starting point for buying with excellent support.

Nick

On sale in Lidl at present .... £14.99

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lidl-parkside-ash-filter-vacuum-attachment-3876068
Saw some in my local branch this week but you might need to move quickly as they were a january promotion..

I've had one for years now - brilliant ... it works really well with the Henry - the filter is great - takes out all the fine dust and fills up right to the top before you need to empty it. The filter just needs cleaning when you empty the can - bang it against the side of the can to shake the dust out, I've never had to replace the filter. It leaves the Henry bag empty. Great bit of kit.

For my lathe turnings (where the wood shavings tend to be a bit bigger) I bought one of these - they are sold under a variety of brands - mine has a 1600watt motor but they come in various powers and container sizes. I picked mine up as a catalogure return with damaged packaging for £49.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133660599339?hash=item1f1ecae42b:g:8goAAOSw1YNgItKJ
It has a bigger suck than the Henry and I also use that with a Lidl Ash can (I have two of them !)
Those lidl vacuums are great, I have one and it's a bargain !

Very happy with my Rage 5S as a hobbyist sawdust producer and added decent blades from Saxton Blades who do a great range compatible with the saw.

I've read that the Rage table saws use a non-standard arbor size which makes it more difficult to get alternative blades. Anyone know if that's correct?

James
They use 1" bore blades.
Solution is to buy 30mm blades and use a reduction ring from eBay.
You then get a vast selection of blades available.
The "cut anything" blade isn't that brilliant - do not buy a rage saw with this as a deciding factor.
The mitre saw /table saw combo machine is not getting good reviews.
I have a 15 yr old Rage saw that has been really good but has needed a bit of adjustment to clear up play on the moving parts.
I see the new models don't have the adjusters.
No thanks

Latest posts

Back