Buying a table saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been permission to buy a table saw which will in part be used for making/repairing beekeeping kit. Much as I'd like one, I really can't justify the cost of a decent "cabinet" type, but the reviews of cheaper models are not confidence-inspiring when it comes to build quality. Even the likes of DeWalt or Makita who I'd normally trust to make a reasonable power tool seem to have people reporting problems with fence or blade alignment.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for one that does the job it's supposed to do properly?

James

Either get one which has a fence fixed at both ends or make your own fence for it. There's plenty out there about fine tuning cheap table saws and if you're prepared to put the time in you can still make accurate cuts. The DeWalt looks nice although out of my budger but think Bosch do a rather good one if you're considering that kind of money. An in law has one and I'm envious. They've made some nice things using it.

I got a cheap one (Screwfix, not the cheapest one they have though) and am careful measuring before cutting, not got round to making another fence for it. Might have made more sense to get a track saw or modify a circular saw into a table saw.

There are a couple of woodworking forums that have a for sale section. My hubby has picked up some really good kit for very ‘reasonable’ prices from members.

I’d seriously think about Makita, I’d also buy through a large stockists not off the net. If I’ve had any issues with any tools there repaired no quibble even items that have been out of warranty. There’s some shortages/long lead times atm.

I have an Electra Beckum ... really good bit of kit ... it's a well sorted design now part of the Metabo range but you can still pick up second hand ones on gumtree and ebay for reasonable money. Robust with a fence that locks in position and a tilting blade if you need it (I rarely use the tilt mechanism to be honest). Cuts square and down almost to veneer width with a decent blade in it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134025248282?hash=item1f3486fe1a:g:V5EAAOSwZiliCrUP&LH_Auction=1

There are a couple of woodworking forums that have a for sale section. My hubby has picked up some really good kit for very ‘reasonable’ prices from members.

That's a good point. I shall definitely do some research there.

James

One of the really frustrating things is that you can find tools from a range of suppliers that look identical other than the colours and perhaps the sizes of locking knobs and suchlike, suggesting they actually come out of the same factory. But they'll be a huge range of different prices with no clear reason to justify the difference. Given the way these things work however, it doesn't actually mean they're really the same thing.

It's not just brands you've never heard of that do this, either. It happens with household names.

James

That looks like a bit of a beast :)

James
It's not that bad ... I have mine on castors so I can move it around, the blade retracts fully and I use the table as a bench as well. I connect mine up to a Henry vacuum with an ash can and there's very little dust comes out of it. I'd rather buy one that's a bit older and well made than a new one made of plastic and tin plate. I think mine cost me about £60 when I bought it a few years ago and it's done a lot of service with the only servicing being a replacement blade and the occasional lubrication of the rise and fall mechanism.

I've been permission to buy a table saw which will in part be used for making/repairing beekeeping kit. Much as I'd like one, I really can't justify the cost of a decent "cabinet" type, but the reviews of cheaper models are not confidence-inspiring when it comes to build quality. Even the likes of DeWalt or Makita who I'd normally trust to make a reasonable power tool seem to have people reporting problems with fence or blade alignment.

Anyone care to make a recommendation for one that does the job it's supposed to do properly?

James
Quite a few years ago I bought a second hand Elu flip saw. It can be used as a table type circular saw or by flipping the top it becomes a chop saw with adjustment of angle to create mitre joints. The blade has tungsten tips so extremely long lasting. One of my better buys! I also invested in a Bosch jigsaw which has served me well over the years and laughs at cutting kitchen worktops (using downward stroke blades to avoid splintering the laminate finish). Good tools are always a wise investment.

• Dewalt DWE7492

That does look quite nice, though appears to be made of unobtainium. Its little brother (DWE7485) looks to be in stock in various places however, so I shall consider that if I end up buying new. Is the throat plate metal or plastic? One of the criticisms of quite a few other saws is that their plastic throat plates are flexible and prevent a reliable square cut on smaller workpieces.

James

Sorry I have not read all above post. But after lot of looking i decided on this as it can be folded down has wheels and has some great features.Evolution Power Tools RAGE5 - S Rage 5-S Multi-Purpose Table Saw, 255 mm (230 V)

Got to love cut and paste

It's not that bad ... I have mine on castors so I can move it around, the blade retracts fully and I use the table as a bench as well. I connect mine up to a Henry vacuum with an ash can and there's very little dust comes out of it. I'd rather buy one that's a bit older and well made than a new one made of plastic and tin plate. I think mine cost me about £60 when I bought it a few years ago and it's done a lot of service with the only servicing being a replacement blade and the occasional lubrication of the rise and fall mechanism.
I have a Henry I use for dust on machines. Can you get an ash pan that fits t instead of bags? If so.....where? Thanks

If you work on a 110v transformer Screwfix have it at almost half price.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...id=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=Google-_-TOKEN1-_-TOKEN2
It always worries me with Screwfix when there are no reviews and it is being sold as a clearance item ....I've been caught by them before and have bought a pup ...

I can remember the 'Site' brand cordless drills I bought that were a half price clearance ... the main drive cog wore out in next to no time rendering the drill useless. I'd bought these drills for my crews in the past and despite some awful abuse they were brilliant and lasted a long time ... the 'new' model that was in the clearance I discovered had plastic drive cogs whereas the earlier model had metal ones .... the reviews, in this case, still related to the earlier, sturdier, model. In fairness Screwfix did not quibble too much about taking them back - although they complained about the state they were in and were mentioning the words 'abuse and unfair usage' when I pointed out the amount of money we spent with them on a yearly basis and it seemed to concentrate their thinking ... refunds followed.

I have a Henry I use for dust on machines. Can you get an ash pan that fits t instead of bags? If so.....where? Thanks
On sale in Lidl at present .... £14.99

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lidl-parkside-ash-filter-vacuum-attachment-3876068
Saw some in my local branch this week but you might need to move quickly as they were a january promotion..

I've had one for years now - brilliant ... it works really well with the Henry - the filter is great - takes out all the fine dust and fills up right to the top before you need to empty it. The filter just needs cleaning when you empty the can - bang it against the side of the can to shake the dust out, I've never had to replace the filter. It leaves the Henry bag empty. Great bit of kit.

For my lathe turnings (where the wood shavings tend to be a bit bigger) I bought one of these - they are sold under a variety of brands - mine has a 1600watt motor but they come in various powers and container sizes. I picked mine up as a catalogure return with damaged packaging for £49.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133660599339?hash=item1f1ecae42b:g:8goAAOSw1YNgItKJ
It has a bigger suck than the Henry and I also use that with a Lidl Ash can (I have two of them !)

Last edited:

James

I bought the cheapest Screwfix table saw (c £110 new). I paid £30 on Gumtree -used once.

Works very well after some fettling.

Edit: for dust extraction I use our Dyson connected to a 5 litre pail with entry of dust from side and air extraction from the top: 95% of the shavings settle in that. I did manage to burn out the Dyson motor but replacement motors are c £15 and easy to fit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back