Lidl: Tracked circular saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Noticed this due to appear on Monday (29th).

I didn't realise such things existed!

Its a circular saw, that can be angled to cut on a slant, and the cut depth can be altered.
Where it gets interesting is that it is mounted on a track (2 sections, 1.4 metres max length). And what that means is that with the track clamped, the thing can't help but cut in a dead straight line.
Seems kinda like a cheaper, safer, smaller-to-store, upside-down version of a table saw ...

If I was thinking of making (for example) plywood hives (honestly, I'm not), this looks to me like would be pretty much ideal.
It is £60 (1p change!) http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=24638
I gather that it is pretty cheap for this type of tool. (But hey, as I said, its a new gizmo to me.)

Also on Monday, they have the mains electric nailer/stapler, and a cordless impact screwdriver (a powerdriver on steroids), and a couple of electric sanders.
There are also some cheapo paintbrushes...

:iagree: Looks interesting, particularly as even with a table saw, trying to cut sheets of 8x4 ply can be 'interesting'.
My main problem is justifying another tool, as I already have a table saw, circular saw, jigsaw, router, table router.........

I'm going to head over tomorrow and pick up the stapler, been wanting one for a while. Might pick up the impact driver and sander too. This might become an expensive trip as I dare say I'll try and justify the plunge saw too!

My main problem is justifying another tool

Quite right, too! 2.4 x 1.2m sheets are better cut into smaller pieces first, before using the average DIY table saw.

I raise the board clear of obstructions and carefully clamp a straight edge (contiboard or whatever) exactly square across the sheet and cut with the circular saw tight against the fence. You could even use the router. While these parkside tools are good value for money, they may actually be inferior to your current tool line-up.

Don't ask me what power tools I have! But most have been around an awful long time and not so many were full cost items. Only today I picked up a small replacement bench grinder for eight quid at a car boot sale. No eye protection and made in 2009. Never used, but works. It will be screwed to a board and batten and then it can be mounted in a vice or workmate.

Beauty of a track saw , well mine at least , is that you don't need to clamp or calculate widths of saws, straight edges etc. You just mark where you want the cut at each end, lay the track down and just cut. With a newish blade, there is no breakout in plywood. I made a table 10 ft by 5 ft with a sacrificial piece of mdf on top, so there is no messing about when I have a few sheets to cut. It's just a trestle table, so packs against the wall when not in use.

Last edited:
I got myself a cheap track saw about a year ago for general use, a bit of kitchen fitting and so on and since I did I have not used my circular saw. Track saws are so much less agro, and give even armatures like me clean accurate cuts on sheet material.

Thanks for the tip ITMA. I purchased the electric nailer and used it for the first time yesterday. Very Pleased and very impressed.

Did you get a pack or two of the £2.99 nail & staple assortment? It can be months before Lidl bargains round again (if they ever do - where's the "Jam Maker"?)

Did you get a pack or two of the £2.99 nail & staple assortment? It can be months before Lidl bargains round again (if they ever do - where's the "Jam Maker"?)

Yes thanks ITMA. I purchased an extra pack. It looks like the nails are a standard size that can be purchased elsewhere though.
Brian

Latest posts

Back