Quick and easy entrances.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any one who buys a maisemore poly hive will know the entrance reducers are rubbish, might as well be made of digestive biscuit.

If your handy with a table saw, this is quick and easy. If your not confident with a table saw, then I suggest you avoid.

This wood comes in at 20mm thick, 150mm wide, and 3.6 meters long, for £7 from the local timber merchant. (not B&Q)

Mark the size you want... (I traced the poly one)
a0wealY.jpg

Set your blade height by measuring or simply holding against the line you drew on the wood.
MV2knqy.jpg

Cut as many lines as you can between the outside lines...
PGaS2HB.jpg

After 2 or 3 minutes of going back and forward, you can start to cut diagonally and will have something that looks like....
ADjJRyG.jpg

You could choose to turn it into a tunnel entrance like Millet describes in one of his posts....
ZGqq7pU.jpg

aT7VwdK.jpg

Or cut it into strips to make your standard entrance reducers....
Set fence distance with the poly one and then run it through several times
rHGromj.jpg

Sand and paint....
tvHKZe4.jpg

AtYMUjy.jpg

You could make loads of these quickly & for peanuts if you needed to.

Seems a bit too simple to be worth posting but maybe it will help someone,

Cheers

Any one who buys a maisemore poly hive will know the entrance reducers are rubbish, might as well be made of digestive biscuit.

AtYMUjy.jpg

You could make loads of these quickly & for peanuts if you needed to.

Seems a bit too simple to be worth posting but maybe it will help someone,

Cheers

And if you look at Paynes plastic entrance block .. which is very good .. and you were able to turn yours round by 90 degrees ... and drllled four 8mm holes in them like the Paynes model... you have a perfect entrance reducer for when the wasps start ...

Look here ...

https://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/polystyrene-national-hive/plastic-entrance-block/

And if you look at Paynes plastic entrance block .. which is very good .. and you were able to turn yours round by 90 degrees ... and drllled four 8mm holes in them like the Paynes model... you have a perfect entrance reducer for when the wasps start ...

Look here ...

https://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/polystyrene-national-hive/plastic-entrance-block/
Total dog feces as predicted..anyone with wasp problems are advised to 100% ignore this advice..that is unless you like wasps..the only reason i replied to this post is beginners will be sold down the River with this bad idea of kiddies wasp prevention..

Last edited:
Total dog feces as predicted..anyone with wasp problems are advised to 100% ignore this advice..that is unless you like wasps..the only reason i replied to this post is beginners will be sold down the River with this bad idea of kiddies wasp prevention..

Is there some type of neanderthal aversion to entrance mods insidiously
running as an undercurrent in this place?

/taps desk/

Bill

Stick with it Millet .. one day you might be right. You think your wide tunnel entrance is easier to defend than a couple of small holes in an entrance block ?

Get real ...and while you are doing find some carbolic and wash that filthy mouth of yours out.

Stick with it Millet .. one day you might be right. You think your wide tunnel entrance is easier to defend than a couple of small holes in an entrance block ?

Get real ...and while you are doing find some carbolic and wash that filthy mouth of yours out.

This reminds me why i should never listen to wrong advice and i hope any newbees out there ignore any advice from this thing..
A shimmed down tunnel entrance is far superior to any form of cheap crap entrance block ..end of..

Genuine question, when would you put a reduced tunnel entrance on? I'm asking as I've not seen a wasp yet in the garden but I'm sure there around. I'm expecting them to be soon but I take it while I've got a heavy flow on with one I would be holding up yhd bees getting in and out???

Genuine question, when would you put a reduced tunnel entrance on? I'm asking as I've not seen a wasp yet in the garden but I'm sure there around. I'm expecting them to be soon but I take it while I've got a heavy flow on with one I would be holding up yhd bees getting in and out???
Your bees sound good for now Simon..you will know when the wasps become a problem believe me..;)

If you have a strong colony wasps won’t be a problem

But they are a problem even with strong hives..

Depends I suppose on what people’s definition of a problem are. I have 5 apple trees around the hive so they are always 100s around the apples on the ground and they are crawling over the hives at times but they don’t get in so I’m not bothered when I open them up a few go in between the frames but they don’t last long and once they are closed up all goes back to normal

Restricted entrances do n0t hold bees up from their work, a nonsense put about
by those not so enthused with working the bees they own.

Any impediment for the colony will be accompanied by significant numbers
of bees, and quickly. Most will be scouts (flying) so quite easily brought to the b'keeps
attention.

Bill

Latest posts

Back