Blowtorch for uncapping?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinemedic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
A local Beek suggested using a kitchen blowtorch :eek: to uncap frames for extraction. I'm a bit skeptical, (visions of melted super all over the floor) anyone else heard of this?

Not a blow torch but I've tried a hot air gun (Paint stripper)
Works very well with dry cappings but a nightmare with wet cappings.

Yes i am a new beekeeper and recently went to an apiary meeting who has been a beekeeper for 20yrs+ and he uses a heat gun and un-capping tool, it was very affective.

Your instincts are correct! use a sharp, serrated, broad bladed knife

Blowtorches are for sterilising / cleaning out empty boxes. I im,agine blowtorching a super of honey would result in a tasty toffee meringue.

Hot air gun works a treat for me

I have tried the un capping fork and heated knife but the hot air gun was the least messy and fast.

Don't suppose there is much of a difference between a blowtorch and heat gun. Maybe it is down to how much heat is applied... I will probably have to see it for myself before I even think of trying it.

uncapping

A local Beek suggested using a kitchen blowtorch :eek: to uncap frames for extraction. I'm a bit skeptical, (visions of melted super all over the floor) anyone else heard of this?

Used a hot air paint stipper for the last 20+ years no problem works a treat less messy than uncapping knife and quicker:cheers2:

I also use hot air stripper just a quick touch over the capping and they melt takes 5 seconds a side.

Works a treat

I find that deploying the current Lady DD and her favourite bread saw works a treat for me ... I don't even raise a sweat!

I use a hot air gun.....works fine on nice white cappings but as someone else said if the honey in the cell has touched the capping then the hot air doesn't work, so it pays to be careful how you handle your super frames. Any which have touched the cell covering I cut off when I've extracted tha majority for the rest of the cells. That way there is always very little honey in my uncapping tray and the maximum in the extractor. For the other truth about the uncapping is, no matter how accurate the person wielding the knife, honey is coming away with those cappings and adding another job to the proceedings.

I think a blowtorch with a flame would be far too much heat. I think the op's local beek when he said kitchen blowtorch mean something a little more domestic. Hairdryer works well too.

Frisbee

I've just watched the vies on y** t**e; the heat gun looks so simple. Now this may sound like a stupid question, but what happens to the melted wax? I thought the idea was to separate the honey from the wax, and surely this would mix them up, at least a bit. Or is it so negligible a quantity that it doesn't matter ???

LJ

videos on y** t**e looks to work great

Do you have the link? I had a quick look and couldn't find anything. I've heard of this method and would like to give it a try.

Now this may sound like a stupid question, but what happens to the melted wax? I thought the idea was to separate the honey from the wax, and surely this would mix them up, at least a bit. Or is it so negligible a quantity that it doesn't matter ???

LJ

The cappings being on the surface melt back very quickly revealing the honey, they form tiny blobs over the cell walls which haven't melted. Some fall off during the spinning process but are large enough to be caught in a course sieve. There is no loss of honey in the process unlike when you cut the cappings off using a knife so there is virtually no mess at all.

If I can find the video I made of using a hot air gun to melt the cappings (dry and wet) I'll post it as it showed a close up of the frame before and after.

Hi Tonybloke, thanks for the quick reply:)

This is how you do it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA30BfH6FBU&feature=related[/ame]

The cappings being on the surface melt back very quickly revealing the honey, they form tiny blobs over the cell walls which haven't melted. Some fall off during the spinning process but are large enough to be caught in a course sieve. There is no loss of honey in the process unlike when you cut the cappings off using a knife so there is virtually no mess at all.

If I can find the video I made of using a hot air gun to melt the cappings (dry and wet) I'll post it as it showed a close up of the frame before and after.
Fabulous...thanks. Do post the pix if you can find them. I'm won over to the hot air school of thought...especially on that there is no loss of honey.

The commercial operation is impressive. I suspect our own extraction may be on a rather smaller scale!!!

Have used a hair dryer to heat the honey to help gravity extraction in the kitchen.........must learn to shut the doors and windows tho........othersize the bees find thier way thro the bead door curtain and the net on the window which they dont normally do. They buzz around with quite a bad attitude as well.

Latest posts

Back