Bit of Advice Please, Super on or off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perrandan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello everyone, starting feeding today and still have no feed on the super on either of my hives. One hive was a swarm I managed to catch and the other was a 6 frame nuc acquired in late june. There is definitely stored feed in the brood and the frames I the supers have been drawn out just not filled. I was wondering if I should just take these supers of for the winter. cheers

I'd take them off - the bees need to be concentrating on getting stores for the winter and the last load of brood for winter bees. Unless you fancy filling both supers with syrup for winter feeding

Hello everyone, starting feeding today and still have no feed on the super on either of my hives. One hive was a swarm I managed to catch and the other was a 6 frame nuc acquired in late june. There is definitely stored feed in the brood and the frames I the supers have been drawn out just not filled. I was wondering if I should just take these supers of for the winter. cheers

Unless you have the intention of going brood-and-a-half, take them off. (And protect the drawn comb against wax moth.)

To get 40 pounds of stores into a national, it needs to be mostly chokka with stores - adding up to at least 8 brood frames absolutely full of honey/syrup stores.

Unless you have the intention of going brood-and-a-half, take them off. (And protect the drawn comb against wax moth.)

To get 40 pounds of stores into a national, it needs to be mostly chokka with stores - adding up to at least 8 brood frames absolutely full of honey/syrup stores.

:iagree:remove and feed
The drawn super will give you a head start early next summer!
E

Back