Big cats - and honeybees???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
Did anyone else think that the insects buzzing around the carcase were honeybees?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone at about 20.15

If they were bees, it's the most bizarre forage......though I guess, as the old saying goes, beggars can't bee choosers.

Fab programmes, even if there weren't any bees!

Yes! I thought that too. I hoped they'd tell us more.
But there will have been much needed moisture - and minerals - there, I thought.

Is that the syrup tin bit?

Yup - Abraham Lyle was deeply religious and based the logo on the tin on the story of Samson killing a lion on his way to the land of the Philistines to find a wife - on his way back he found that a swarm of bees had colonised the rotting carcass and there was honey there. He later used that experience to pose a riddle at a wedding. "Out of the eater came forth meat and out of the strong came forth sweetness"
They don't know whether the phrase 'out of the strong came forth sweetness' which is on the tin was a reference to the strength of the tin or the company.

Yup - Abraham Lyle was deeply religious and based the logo on the tin on the story of Samson killing a lion on his way to the land of the Philistines to find a wife - on his way back he found that a swarm of bees had colonised the rotting carcass and there was honey there. He later used that experience to pose a riddle at a wedding. "Out of the eater came forth meat and out of the strong came forth sweetness"

They don't know whether the phrase 'out of the strong came forth sweetness' which is on the tin was a reference to the strength of the tin or the company.

That is the Wikipedia suggestion but maybe he was referencing the slaves working on the plantations for their strength. Unlikely but you never know.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is the Wikipedia suggestion but maybe he was referencing the slaves working on the plantations for their strength. Unlikely but you never know.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nothing changes with Tate and Lyle - apart from the fact that any morals and principles they once held have gone out of the window - now being wholly American owned and using near to slave labour to produce their sugar.
Buy British I say - and support British farmers.

That one worked ok.. ;) ..the only reasonable explanation i can think of is the bees where gathering moisture from the decaying carcass.

Goodo!

Apart from taking moisture/salts from the carcase, I wonder where the nest is located, and what "normal" forage is available . Perhaps there is a fertile oasis with a resident beekeeper, just out of shot...!

Any idea of the species???

Goodo!

Apart from taking moisture/salts from the carcase, I wonder where the nest is located, and what "normal" forage is available . Perhaps there is a fertile oasis with a resident beekeeper, just out of shot...!

African maybe :spy: ..

Goodo!

Apis mellifera syriaca

Also known as Holy bees

Wassail

Funny, I was listening to this excellent album just yesterday.
maxresdefault.jpg

Latest posts

Back