Best Deal in New Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxing

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Without any blatant advertising can anybody recommend the best deals in buying new 'Commercial' Hives, please?
Most adverts seem to be for 'National' hives.
I'm new to beekeeping and probably looking to buy a couple of complete hives, preferrably ready assembled but without the bees in them.
Thanks,
Waxing. (Essex)

Last edited:
Google beekeeping equipment and you should bring up a number of the big boys .
Th**nes . Maisemore . National Bee Supplies . Paynes to name a few .

There are a few smaller outfits who turn out great kit ,but not sure if they do Commercial ?

G

Might I suggest a pm to Hivemaker and Tom Bick on this site? I don't know if they do commercial, or how they would compare on price- but I understand their hives are things of beauty and a joy for- if not ever, decades.

you may be better asking your local association as the use by non commercial bee farmers of commercial hive is less common in most of the uk than it is in Essex

i dont think i have seen one special offer on commercial hives in this years sales at all

Can we ask why Commercial? Unless you have a local contact using that type of hive who will provide you with a nuc it is likely to make acquiring your first bees a little bit more difficult.

not difficult at all, just follow the directions in 'guide to bees and honey', by Ted Hooper, easy enough ( I did it)

I thought hivemaker did Nationals? What about Alan Wadsworth or Peter Harris??? you can google them

To echo Tonybloke, Take National nuc follow Hooper, sorted no problem.

there's a guy on ebay selling second hand commercials, quite cheaply.....

Welcome Waxing,

Have sent you a pm as I live near Colchester too.

Des

Ahhhhh! must be part of the Essex Commercial Mafia Secret Society, i have never worked out why so many beginners in Essex/ Colchester area want to use Commercial hives instead of national hives.

Are there so many more Amateur bee-keepers using commercials or does Essex BKA recommended them or it the main nuc supplier i the area only selling 16x10 Nuc

Or are Essex Girls different

Last edited:
this a map I put together with lots of bee keeping suppliers in the UK.

I would suggest many of the hive suppliers would make commercials even if they did not advertise them. just ring and ask

click here

BB

Ahhhhh! must be part of the Essex Commercial Mafia Secret Society, i have never worked out why so many beginners in Essex/ Colchester area want to use Commercial hives instead of national hives.

Hi MM,

I have pm'd the original poster on that one. I am on the beginners course for the local division of EBKA the second time and the tutor uses Commercials himself, but talks of pluses and minuses of all the main hive types, not promoting any in particular. Needless to say a lot end up getting commercials. Also do not forget Ted Hooper was in Essex and in his book favoured National and Commercial

Myself I went for Nationals, as I found the short lugs of commercials difficult to handle when we started the practical on tutors hives ( I was a real fumbler to start with. Might be better now, but I still am glad I went for Nats) - and other reasons such as common usage and getting bees as mentioned.

The course is great. Doing a second run through as hope to sit my basic later this year

I dont meant to pour cold water on you but are you really sure about beginning with a commercial. You might be better to start with a couple of nationals and make sure it is for you. Even with national it comes as a shock when your peaceful little nuc suddely has 60,000 bees and a strong hive will be much more frisky. I really would advise you to go more gently at first. You can always go to a deep brood on a national or even a double brood once you have warmed your feet for a year. There have been a few beginners recently who have started with commercials and had to be rescued after the first year.
You can always move your hives on if you change to commercials later and if you buy second hand in the first place then you wont lose money. Just make sure you clean everything really well when you get them.
I hope you dont mind me saying but it is always a good idea to start cautiously.

Last edited:
Hi Waxing,

Taking up on what PF says above, on the beginners course I mentioned you will get hands on experience to see if it is really for you. I have had no reply to the PM. If you do not have details of the course you can PM me and I will let you know. This week is the third session and the tutor will always bring you up to speed I am sure.

Last year the tutor promised all who attended the practicals a starter colony.

Hi Waxing,

Taking up on what PF says above, on the beginners course I mentioned you will get hands on experience to see if it is really for you. I have had no reply to the PM. If you do not have details of the course you can PM me and I will let you know. This week is the third session and the tutor will always bring you up to speed I am sure.

Last year the tutor promised all who attended the practicals a starter colony.

Drex,

Did you say you are doing this through EBKA? If so, which division, as this is much earlier than I started mine in 2010.

Back