Bees with deformed wings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Coulson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I have a question: today, I noticed some of my bees rather stumbling about outside the front of their hive and, on closer inspection, I noticed that their wings were deformed and that as a consequence they couldn't fly. Unquestionably a disease of some kind, but which one of the many? Any ideas, please? Thanks in advance and I'll buy a drink for the helper who can come up with a sound remedy!!

All the best,

Graham.

"I noticed that their wings were deformed and that as a consequence they couldn't fly"

you've almost answered it yourself.

DWV.

guess the last word.

it does exactly what it says on the tin.

related to heavy varroa infestation.

treat the varroa pronto - HM thymol recipe gets my vote.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc! I'll have to find out what products are available here in France... I expect they'll be under different names, but someone here will know, I hope.

Thanks again.

Graham.

Thanks, itma.

No, I haven't been treating for Varroa YET; and no, I haven't got a mesh floor, but a solid wooden one. I should explain: I'm very new to this beekeeping game -- this is my first season and so I have lots to learn!

Thanks for the website link for the PDF document, which I will read closely.

With kind regards.

Graham.

Thanks Doc! I'll have to find out what products are available here in France... I expect they'll be under different names, but someone here will know, I hope.

Thanks again.

Graham.

Hi Graham,
Apivar, Apiguard, Apistan, Thymovar, Thymol - available from your local Syndicat Apicole (try Pages Jaunes).
Our Gamm Vert sells bee stuff - if they don't stock these products they may get them in for you if you ask ;)

Thanks Luminos -- great to hear from another Expat in France! More to the point, great to have the benefit of your kind advice, which is much appreciated.

With kind regards.

Graham.

Thanks Chris -- much obliged to you for the link to Apiguard, which I have bookmarked for future reference.

With kind regards.

Graham.

A supplementary question for you: how do I tell that it's not Acarine disease, please?

Thank you and kind regards.

Graham.

If it was Acarine then your bees would not have deformed wings.

:iagree:Tom - obviously another person there who has picked up the erroneous info about acarine and DWV as posted on another thread a good while back.

As an aside, I have a colony, (just the one), that periodically displays DWV in mid spring but then "gets over it" and continues the season without any problems and so far after three years it hasn't failed although I expect it to.
I find it strange that this is the only colony I have that presents with this disorder although I think the virus is present in most if not all French colonies as is the mighty mite. The colony in question was a swarm taken from a roof space elsewhere.

This leads me to speculate that it's possible that not all bee colonies are susceptible. Of course they may all have it next year.

Chris

... and no, I haven't got a mesh floor, but a solid wooden one. ...

Quite apart from the year-round function of providing a one-way Varroa exit route, a mesh floor with removable tray beneath provides a means of checking the level of infestation at any time AND monitoring the effect of any treatment(s).
You should be able to fit mesh floors to your existing hives - its only the floor that should need to be changed.
Long term and short term, its the way to go to monitor the level of the problem (certainly below the critical levels where DWV becomes obvious).

A few years ago, chemical (pyrethroid) pesticides (like Apistan) were the preferred means of routine control treatment.
The result of routine use was that the mite developed resistance in those areas where these chemicals were regularly used.

I'd suggest that your priority is to find out what the local situation in your area currently is.
If your local mites ARE showing resistance, such treatments would be a waste of time, money and hope.
But if they are not resistant, you might consider that route as your first attack, but ONLY while/because you have a known major problem. After that, for routine management of a low-level problem, you should try to avoid using these chemical pesticides, and just use "Integrated Pest Management" with Thymol-based products (like Apiguard and Apilife Var) to keep the problem down to a level that the bees can cope with.
The less widely the heavy-duty pesticide chemicals are used, the more potent they are when they are really needed. The resistance dies back in the Varroa population when/where their use is suspended for a few years.
But right now, it sounds like your bees need all the help they can get.
The weaker that the mite makes the colony , the less chance of the colony surviving the winter.

That's the advice that this newb took away from a visit to an obvious DWV colony with a Seasonal Bee Inspector last weekend.
That infestation was sufficiently heavy that some of the 'sealed brood' had actually been partially opened (I was told) by the bees, because of the mites. Do you have that Graham?

Thanks again, itma, for all the very helpful info.

No, I haven't spotted any sealed brood cells torn open, but I'll have a closer look and report back if I see any.

I'll certainly be going the Varroa floor route right away. I had no idea that Varroa was such a major problem -- but now I know!

Thanks again and kind regards.

Graham.

Thanks for the website link for the PDF document, which I will read closely.

Well done for asking rather than ignoring. While you're reading, have a look at the Foul Brood booklet available from the same source - not only does it cover the rare-but-serious foul brood diseases, it also details the more common and less serious brood diseases and conditions which you might encounter.

Latest posts

Back