Deformed wings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEver

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 WBC
Hi All,

I inspected my hive today and everything was going ok until I noticed that I was gathering a small pile of bees in front of the entrance way. There were probably 50 bees there, so was a bit worried.

I finished my routine inspection and kept having a look at them but some have still not left. 6 hours later, some are still wandering around the hive - about 209 of them now. I had a closer look and one of them seemed to have three wings and another seemed to have one and the others which I looked at seemed to be ok.

I have attached some photos.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5751 2.jpg
    IMG_5751 2.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    805 KB · Views: 95
Another thing

Sorry...Another thing that I noticed in the inspection was some uncapping in the brood. An NBU inspector has recently come around and given the all clear for everything but just thought I would add a photo of this too, just incase it is related.

Thanks.

p.s. sorry about the awful photos, it wouldn't let me add the originals so had to crop them super small.

Attachments

• IMG_3151 2.JPG
    IMG_3151 2.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 99
The holes in the brood are symptomatic of Varroa infestation - as is the Deformed wings. You need to treat urgently or your colony will die..

None of those bees in the pic have deformed wings

I misguidedly didn’t treat for varroa in my first year and had DWV, wings were shrivelled. I treated him it’s MAQS and they recovered well.
A small amount of varroa on the board quickly accelerated.
Hope it goes well for you.

Courty

Hi all,

Thanks so much. Will sort out some varroa treatment tomorrow. Had a look on some of the bees and couldn't see any varroa, and also none on the varroa board so hopefully all ok.

Thanks,
H

The holes in the brood are symptomatic of Varroa infestation - as is the Deformed wings. You need to treat urgently or your colony will die..

The perforated cappings do indicate a varroa infestation but I would ask first if the OP has tested for hygienic behaviour?
Workers uncap infested cells when they detect reproducing varroa inside....that is half way to VSH. If they also dismembered the pupae inside to get at the varroa, he may not need to treat them

Hi all,

Thanks so much. Will sort out some varroa treatment tomorrow. Had a look on some of the bees and couldn't see any varroa, and also none on the varroa board so hopefully all ok.

Thanks,
H

Natural drop is a poor indication unless carried out over a time.
You won’t see varroa on bees unless the infestation is severe. Varroa are parasitic all the time and when not inside cells are firmly anchored onto the bee between the tergites where you can’t see them.

The bees with '3 wings' .... the double wings normally hook joined to allow direction in flight. Tracheal mite can cause these wings to become disjointed.

Varroa causes a shrivelled looking wing as though with a cigarette burn.

I thought Bailey had shown that disjointed wings were a feature of Chronic paralysis syndrome 1 rather than Acarine mite (plus after years of Varroa treatment there can't be much Acarine about as Acarapis woodii seems to have disappeared somewhat like Braula)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back