Bees not raising new Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott78

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
This year I have taken the chance and re-queened my hives by adding a frame of eggs from the best hive i have after artificially swarmed hives.
It was worked fine on 3 hives, however I have one hive that refuses to turn the eggs into queen cells. At first i thought i had added it too soon after removing the original queen, so i waited 2 weeks and added another frame of fresh eggs. All they do is cap off worker brood.
Its still a strong colony but i do not want to keep removing eggs from the best hive as it must weaken it over time.
Is the only option to add a new queen and hope one of the other hives can raise a new queen?.
thanks in advance

Obvious question but have you checked for brood/eggs in the other frames you have not added

I dont have my notes with me, but the first frame was about 5 days after the queen was removed, then again 2 weeks later.

Did you get all the queen cells?

Yes, I'm sure I got all of them, if i missed one she should have started laying this week. Will wait another week just in case

thanks for all the reply's

We’ve all done it and missed 1 my money would be on a virgin running around if they are not responding to test frame

A few weeks ago I demareed a colony with a view to cutting out the queencells in the top box and doing further stuff after that.... With the old queen located and safely on one frame downstairs in the lower box. A few days after the demaree, I looked in the top brood box. No queencells and lucking I noticed a large virgin scampering about. It was only then I saw a partly broken down supercedure queencell. She is now laying well and I will unite to the remainder of the colony shortly.

Hi,
I just wanted to say i looked in the hive yesterday and there were eggs and brood. Couldn't see the queen but at least I know there is one.
thanks for all the help not worthy

Latest posts

Back