Bees entering air vent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejim

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice as beekeepers.

Just under the eaves of my house are some air bricks/vents. The other end of the vents are located in a bedroom quite high up on the wall.

Bees are entering the holes in the airvents, so must be living inside the vent or wall cavity somewhere. They are bees entering every 20 seconds or so.

What are my options with this do you think? Leave them alone to live there? Or try and get the hive removed? I am not sure how the hive would be removed without taking bricks out of the wall.

I have never seen any bees entering our house, but the air vents lead into my daughters bedroom so I am quite concerned about it.

Thanks

Just been on the phone to my Mom, She also has bumbles going into an air-vent.
Must bee a bumble thing this year, anyway they taped up the internal vent so no bumbles can enter the room but they are free to come and go as they please from outside , Rent free I might add ...

Must bee a bumble thing this year, anyway they taped up the internal vent so no bumbles can enter the room but they are free to come and go as they please from outside , Rent free I might add ...

depending on how old the house/vent... older vents were often just an air brick inside and out so insects could go through, more modern ones have a fly screen inside.

if no bees have been seen inside, I'd suggest not blocking the vent up, otherwise the airflow the house needs will be restricted, more important in winter with condensation and mould, but especially if there are any older gas appliances in the house that need a fresh air supply at any time of year.

I got a nice recovery today.. bees into airvent which led to bathroom extractor fan fitted in loft space.. With householders permission I cut the section of telescopic tubing which contained the bees , collapsed it slightly to fit into a box and closed it up quickly. Got the whole colony except for about 15! They had been there a few days as one piece of white comb being developed within the tube. Safely in Nuc.

Householders prefer new tubing to bee colony. Quickest collection yet. :winner1st:

Now that is a cool one Heather! Never caught/seen a swarm.Would love to get one this year, fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back