Wasp detecting dog

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We acquired a JRT earlier this year from a household with a toddler that was supposedly at risk of being nipped. He is quite territorial but we're experienced in the nuances of the breed. Suffice it to say our house is now "his home". For a few weeks he spent ages lying ta the bottom of a radiator under a window intently studying something. Vacuuming and peering under and behind the radiator with torch and mirror revealed nothing but still he studied the spot.
Finally a couple of weeks ago my wife noticed wasps entering the underfloor void below the suspect spot via an air brick in the outside wall just behind a garden bench. Squirting Doff ant powder into the holes in the brick has terminated the wasps traffic and the dog has lost interest in the strange spot. I don't know if he heard or smelt the wasp activity but his senses are significantly better than humans

We acquired a JRT earlier this year from a household with a toddler that was supposedly at risk of being nipped. He is quite territorial but we're experienced in the nuances of the breed. Suffice it to say our house is now "his home". For a few weeks he spent ages lying ta the bottom of a radiator under a window intently studying something. Vacuuming and peering under and behind the radiator with torch and mirror revealed nothing but still he studied the spot.
Finally a couple of weeks ago my wife noticed wasps entering the underfloor void below the suspect spot via an air brick in the outside wall just behind a garden bench. Squirting Doff ant powder into the holes in the brick has terminated the wasps traffic and the dog has lost interest in the strange spot. I don't know if he heard or smelt the wasp activity but his senses are significantly better than humans
Nah, he just can’t stand the smell of Doff…..

We have a 4 month old jrt and she's got an amazing nose. She also loves to try disappearing down holes. Must be a trait of the breed and why farmers use them for ratting.

A couple of wasps in a jack Russell nostrils would be funny ,..snap at that you little barsteward

Those poor pooches, my cat had a fat lip from trying to eat a wasp last year it's not funny.
I think (imho) that wasp stings are nowhere near as bad as bee stings. May be the amount of venom.
Back on topic I recon your dog could smell them under the floor.
Regards doffing them, good riddance they'd only be trying to rob your hives come September.

Latest posts

Back