Bees and Salt?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to stay at The Vineyard 80's with my . They had their honeymoon there in 1968 too and the only photos that came out were of my father catching a basking shark!

More like how? Must have been a strong line - they're enormous![/QUOTE]

A single krill on a size 90/0 hook must have interesting!

you can't catch basking sharks on hook an line unless by accident. nets or harpoons were used.

Ahhhhh yes, Kingsbridge.

Many a time I've pootled up the estuary from Salcombe for a shopping trip to Kingsbridge. Nice town and some lovely little creeks around and about (especially South Pool). Probably one of my favourite parts of the country and the Devon Angling Centre's just up the road if you're hooked on your sea fishing.

Used to stay at The Vineyard during the 70's and 80's with my parents. They had their honeymoon there in 1968 too and the only photos that came out were of my father catching a basking shark!

Salt and bees?

Don't lick your fingers. Iron Bru is very addictive LoL.

I have made drinking plases to bees which I have protected with glass plates. One wall is partly open. then I have a big water bottle 5 litre which has a hole under water surface. It adds water water level goes down. The heat adds speed when bees lick water near zero temp. They really use much that water.

Hi Finman - I'm having a problem visualising this, do you happen to have a photo?

All things are linked hollistically

Once looking out to see from my back garden terrace where I kept my house beehives, looking for dolphins and basking sharks, I notices the bees were gathered around a pool of water wher I had recently cemented in some pavers............................

Masonary bees roosting in the Quaternary washout sedimentary cliff faces, along the cliffs between Bovisand and Heybrookbay, not so far from Salcomb, I have noted often take a sip from the salty rock pools that abound there.... if you can look past the tons of plastic jetsum washed up on the beach!!!!

My reading since starting to work with bees has lead me to a number of references to bees using salt.

One of the first pointers was a reference last summer by a forum member who commented that despite his hives being near a source of fresh running water, the bees preferred the run off (urine) from his pig pens (At least I think it was pigs - definitely some form of mamalian livestock!!)

I later read a couple of books by an American Beekeeper named Ormand Aebi who records his observation that his bees actively scavenged salt from the salt licks placed out for his sheep. He also noted that when salt is scattered on a landing board when the bees are active, they can be observed coming out of the hive, encountering the salt grains and carrying them back into the hive. Not a hard experiment to duplicate.

Here are a couple of links on the subject of incorporating salt into grease patties for use in hives:
http://rnoel.50megs.com/2000/part2.htm
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/GresPates.pdf

I think I would prefer to provide my colonies with salt of which I know the source rather than have them gather urine......

I downloaded the following .pdf from somewhere but cannot remember the exact location - the previous links I posted are contained within this .pdf.

I like the idea of using a caulking gun to apply the grase pattie mixture inside the hive entrance.

Latest posts

Back