Bees and Money

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eight weeks in and today I had the equivalent of a full bee sting in the allergy clinic. I'm still breathing and very relieved to be having this treatment!
Thanks for the Devon Air Ambulance link, dpearce4, it's now working on my iPhone and I feel confident enough to wander again. Up on the downs the other day, walked over a hillock and what was there but our Air Ambulance rescuing someone who had slipped and injured themselves. It's good to see them out and about, much as I hope never to use it!
Hopefully come the Spring I shall dare to actively resume beekeeping. Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

I am glad everything is looking more positive and your treatment is working.

If you do resume beekeeping Sherriff's have got a beesuit that they have made for beekeepers with bee sting allergies, it is however very expensive.

If you do resume beekeeping Sherriff's have got a beesuit that they have made for beekeepers with bee sting allergies, it is however very expensive.

Have never been stung through my ordinary Sherriff beesuit but that 's really interesting to know, especially for the number of people who apparently turn down desensitisation treatment (yes, why? Don't know!)

Yes I have every intention of resuming beekeeping, for a start I'm slowly running out of reserves of honey and I can't possibly do without!

Good luck to you Headnavigator. I'm glad the allergy treatment is going according to plan. When will you finish treatment?

Nice idea but potentially deadly; I think about this from time to time, especially as I show occasional allergic reactions myself. I simply could not, with any suit, GUARANTEE not being stung.

Please, please, please, carry on wandering freely. The chance of you getting stung while out and about is miniscule. As long as you have ur epi pen with you and if your out and about have one of this type of app, the devon air ambulance signal app, others available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rokk.daat

they will even work if your not in their area they then contact your air ambulance if you send the message and it doesn't need a phone signal as its designed to work on places like Dartmoor.

Any update on this system appreciated... have the buggs been removed?

Diver friend had his life saved by deploying a personal Emergency Positioning Buoy ( EPBR?) when caught up in an incident with a fast moving speedboat... some way out to sea....Helicopter crew found him and stricken buddy within 10 minutes!
A panic button on a mobile device could prove to be a real lifesaver.

Nos da

Diver friend had his life saved by deploying a personal Emergency Positioning Buoy ( EPBR?) when caught up in an incident with a fast moving speedboat... some way out to sea....Helicopter crew found him and stricken buddy within 10 minutes!
A panic button on a mobile device could prove to be a real lifesaver.

Nos da

You're thinking EPIRB's (Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacons - registered to vessels) but I think you mean PLB's (personal locator beacons - registered to an individual) you can get PLBs now for the use of hikers and the like, and they ain't that expensive (around £400.00, but may be less)so it's worth thinking about it

I had no luck on my iPhone and difficulties loading the App onto my Android phone at first, but then a few days later it popped up on both, looking as good as gold. Since then I have spent more than a few moments of terror when I have found my phone 'on' in my bag or pocket, scared out of my wits that at any moment I shall see the shadow of an Air Ambulance descending on me. It only appears to take two key presses from the open screen to summon help and I fear it would be all too easy to set it off accidentally. So I now have a protocol in place to try to ensure my phone is locked when not actually in my hand. That goes along with the protocol to ensure my new (old) car's sidelights are off when I leave that as I've twice now come back to a totally flat battery because I've knocked the switch on exiting the car. And I always thought I was relatively safe with technology!

You're thinking EPIRB's (Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacons - registered to vessels) but I think you mean PLB's (personal locator beacons - registered to an individual) you can get PLBs now for the use of hikers and the like, and they ain't that expensive (around £400.00, but may be less)so it's worth thinking about it

Missing I !!

My vessel short wave / VHF transceiver has a cover over the "mayday" button to prevent accidental activation.. suppose that would not be possible on a mobile phone.. things seem to be getting too small!

Gran had a panic / fall alert on a chain around he neck when she lived in sheltered accommodation... that would not have the range.. unless alone with the bees in the garden??

Nos da

There are apps actually designed for the infirm which could prove useful. They alarm (create noise, send SMS messages, etc.) when accelerometer sensors in the phone recognise a fall. I don't know if they are released on app stores or if they're still under development.

Latest posts

Back