My beekeeping days may be over

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Damn and blast.

Popped to the hives today to check them after the winds. All upright. A couple were low on fondant so I decided to top up those that were low. Very quick lift off the board and fondant on. All 6 alive, brilliant.

Then, zap. Sting to the back of the head. Dead bee later found in my t-shirt so must have gotten in to the veil somehow. It hurt but not more than normal.

But then my nose started running, I developed hives on both arms and my chest. Tingling in my face, which swelled a little. A quick stop on the drive home to pop an antihistamine (Fexofenadine I use for hayfever). Pit stop home, then off to A&E. Never anaphylactic (or close) but certainly a good going systemic reaction.

After waiting to be seen in A&E (4 hours but no harm), the antihistamine I took has done its job. I’m absolutely fine, the sting isnt even swollen. I’ll go to the GP on Monday and start the process of seeing what the future holds.

I know it could have been a whole lot worse, but I’m really gutted. I’ve been so excited since finding beekeeping 3 years ago. I’ll look into desensitisation, better impenetrable suits etc. but my assumption is I’ll be starting the season by selling my colonies.

Still, at least they are all alive so far.

Sorry to here about that Stedic. I would be gutted if I had to give up... I took it up 3 yrs ago too.
Wait until you see the quack before making any decision.
Good luck.

Damn and blast.

Popped to the hives today to check them after the winds. All upright. A couple were low on fondant so I decided to top up those that were low. Very quick lift off the board and fondant on. All 6 alive, brilliant.

Then, zap. Sting to the back of the head. Dead bee later found in my t-shirt so must have gotten in to the veil somehow. It hurt but not more than normal.

But then my nose started running, I developed hives on both arms and my chest. Tingling in my face, which swelled a little. A quick stop on the drive home to pop an antihistamine (Fexofenadine I use for hayfever). Pit stop home, then off to A&E. Never anaphylactic (or close) but certainly a good going systemic reaction.

After waiting to be seen in A&E (4 hours but no harm), the antihistamine I took has done its job. I’m absolutely fine, the sting isnt even swollen. I’ll go to the GP on Monday and start the process of seeing what the future holds.

I know it could have been a whole lot worse, but I’m really gutted. I’ve been so excited since finding beekeeping 3 years ago. I’ll look into desensitisation, better impenetrable suits etc. but my assumption is I’ll be starting the season by selling my colonies.

Still, at least they are all alive so far.
If it was me i would crack on regardless but then again i have a impenetrable bee suit ..;) ..but then again 50% of stings happen after the suit is removed.. options options..

Hi Stedic, for what's it's worth I am in a very similar position to you, I react very badly to stings, not anaphylactic but close, including 3 trips to A&E in the last four years (only one of which had anything to do with beekeeping).

In my opinion there is no reason to give up, just make sure your approach is carefully considered to reduce the risk of being stung. I haven't been stung whilst wearing a bee suite since that first nasty sting four years ago.

Ed.

Sorry for what happen. How do your bees normally behave? That’s what I would be asking myself do you feel confident around them. Last season I got stung ‘that I know of’ maybe 3-4 times’ all my own fault but I only have 3 hives and that was full inspections. Things like putting on fondant/sugar water I do at times with just the veil as they are calm bees. But as always they could just be having a bad day. I wouldn’t want to give up but understand it must of been a horrible experience

maybee find a bee buddy to help you ,will be there if anything happens.best wishes for a good outcome

If it was me i would crack on regardless but then again i have a impenetrable bee suit ..;) ..but then again 50% of stings happen after the suit is removed.. options options..

The little blogger certainly got through or into my BBwear suit. I suspect through a gap in the wrist or something near the veil. I’ll have to have a look. Annoyingly I was wearing a high necked jumper and a baseball cap, so it managed to find about the only place it could get me.

An OzArmour or Sentinel suit are potential options. I think best case scenario is ‘impentrable’ Suit + epipen backup + antihistamine beforehand + desensitisation. But that all depends on how quickly (if at all) I can get a referral.

My brother last season had the same, it just got worse, he's decided to give up, its just not worth the risk. Yes you can carry an epi pen, but what happens if your reaction is so quick you can't administer it.

The little blogger certainly got through or into my BBwear suit. I suspect through a gap in the wrist or something near the veil. I’ll have to have a look...

There's your answer. Don't give up the bees. Check your suit! :D

5109.gif

The little blogger certainly got through or into my BBwear suit. I suspect through a gap in the wrist or something near the veil. I’ll have to have a look. Annoyingly I was wearing a high necked jumper and a baseball cap, so it managed to find about the only place it could get me.

An OzArmour or Sentinel suit are potential options. I think best case scenario is ‘impentrable’ Suit + epipen backup + antihistamine beforehand + desensitisation. But that all depends on how quickly (if at all) I can get a referral.

Have a read up on the Oz Armour bee suits..they are out of this world in many ways but the main thing they excel in is it is impossible to get stung while wearing it..a 2mm bee sting will never get through 3 x layers of 4mm mesh..i wear a jacket not a full suit and the only place i take the odd sting is on my legs and fingers..if you did go for a full OZ suit all you would have to worry about is a suitable pair of gloves..
Good luck..;)

Stings over this time of year (old winter bees) are usually powerful.
Sounds like just a natural reaction to a particularly venomous sting?

4 hours waiting in A+E, indicates that they didn't see your situation as particularly urgent or life threatening?

Perhaps you should have taken the antihistamine a lot earlier than you did, (they taste awfully bitter) if you chew them they come into affect a little quicker. :bump:

As a precaution you could take someone with you next couple of visits?

Oh & there's plenty of blurb on Epipens in previous posts, the fact that you didn't have any injection during your visit to A+E strongly suggests you don't need one.:calmdown:

4 hours waiting in A+E, indicates that they didn't see your situation as particularly urgent or life threatening?

Perhaps you should have taken the antihistamine a lot earlier than you did, (they taste awfully bitter) if you chew them they come into affect a little quicker. :bump:

Oh & there's plenty of blurb on Epipens in previous posts, the fact that you didn't have any injection during your visit to A+E strongly suggests you don't need one.:calmdown:

Aye, this.
I always react a bit more to a midwinter sting or the first few of the season.

PLEASE seek professional help... your GP can get you on to a bee sting desensitasion scheme at a hospital in your area.

The hospital professionals can issue you with any medication that you need including "Epipens" for use on yourself in an emergency to allow an ambulance to get to you.

( SWMBO has a kit containing pens/antihistamine/steriods + instructions etc... that is regularly changed as these things go out of date

Paramedics are well trained to deal with patients suffering from anaphylaxis and subsequent shock
( Epipen/adrenaline increases blood pressure when there has been a rapid drop... shock)

Good advice not to beekeep alone.... and a decent suit may prevent the odd sting.... although from my experiences it is usually someone else's bee in someone else's beeyard that gets you!

Carry a mobile.. I believe in some areas there is a facility to call a single number (may be 999?) and say anaphalaxis whereby emergency services locate you mobile.

Not just bee stings... had a friend hellicoptered to Derriford last year when he was attacked by wasps in an old mine in his garden.... I had to rapidly get my beesuit on to get him out.... when I heard his poor wife screaming for help... fortunately he lived.

PLEASE take care out there.... we are dealing with venomous insects that can potentially kill.

:calmdown:

Last edited:

This incident has obviously given Stedic enough of a shock to consider his future in beekeeping. He hasn't said what treatment he was given, and none of us were there, so it is not for us to try to second guess the medics who treated him.
It does sound like a systemic allergic reaction which is serious enough in itself. I am sure he will receive appropriate medical advice from his doctor.

Last year I was stung on my arms many times while catching a swarm with no ill effects. A few weeks later I was stung once on the face and the whole side of my face and neck swelled up and closed my eye with a little in the way of tingly skin. A few weeks after that I changed the entrance block in a hive wearing only a jacket, shorts and trainers (it only took a couple of seconds, won't do that again) and was stung about thirty times on my hands and feet this time with no ill effect. It does sound as if there was a bit of a systemic effect in your case but you might well get stung again and next time nothing will happen. I do believe there is truth in the strength of venom at different times of the year and also how quickly you get the sting out. When I was stung on the face I couldn't see to remove the sting until I found a mirror a good three minutes later so got the full blast; it is this that made the effect so bad I believe.

Good luck at the doctors and hopefully they'll just say it was a random bad reaction.

The hospital professionals can issue you with any medication that you need including "Epipens" for use on yourself in an emergency to allow an ambulance to get to you.

Doubtful - there's been a country wide shortage for a while, and something tells me it will only get worse in a few weeks.

Doubtful - there's been a country wide shortage for a while, and something tells me it will only get worse in a few weeks.

Yes there were problems obtaining Epipens last year... but other self administration pens containing the same medication were available from pharmacies if the correct information was put on the prescription!!!!...... more of a worry was the fact that supplies of bee venom to use in the desensitisation process ran out!!

Sugar prices will increase 3 fold as soon as the boarders close.... have a ton of invert being delivered in next couple of weeks

Thanks for all your thoughts, concerns and advise.

Regarding the initial treatment and A&E, well I’m a paramedic so I hopefully know what I’m doing. The lack of treatment in A&E was because the prescription antihistamine did its job before I got there. I still went as you can never really predict if the systemic stuff eill settle or need more treatment.

I will chat to the GP tomorrow and try to get a referral ASAP. I’ll see what the experts say about progressing this season. I’ve got a few weeks before I need to worry about the bees and swarming/supers etc and can always get short term help. If I need to sell this years colonies then so be it.

Slow and steady, safety first and we’ll see what the experts say. I’ve got lots of options to explore but am prepared to stop sltogether if needed.

The same happened to my daughter's then boyfriend a few years ago. He was stung on the back of the neck, and suffered some breathing difficulty and itchy spots head to toe. He's been stung since on several occasions, with no problems. My totally non-medical guess is that the location of the sting is a factor in how you respond.

The same happened to my daughter's then boyfriend a few years ago. He was stung on the back of the neck, and suffered some breathing difficulty and itchy spots head to toe. He's been stung since on several occasions, with no problems. My totally non-medical guess is that the location of the sting is a factor in how you respond.

Behind the ear or on the happy sacks.... nasty!

Latest posts

Back