Beekeeping ethics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with those who think it's irritating when it happens but you just have to take it on the chin, these things dont get forgotten easily though.

:iagree:
A couple of years ago, a guy plonked 10 of the meanest colonies I have ever seen across the road from one of my apiaries so he could benefit from the borage being grown there (which my bees would already have pollinated). These bees were so bad that he had to wear 3 layers under his beesuit as protection....and it still wasn't enough!

There are a number of issues with your statement, but, I will pick out only three:
1. "Tragedy of the commons" implies that there is an over-riding public good that is being subverted. You haven't indicated what that "common good" is. If it is only a "good" from your perspective, then, it cannot be a "tragedy of the commons".
2. On what basis are they "unsuitable"? Is it because they were imported? Surely, we all have a right to choose what bee we keep?
3. A "voluntary reserve" has no standing at all. I remember highlighting when you first mentioned this "reserve" that it was woefully inadequate. I could say that my back-garden is a "reserve" but I doubt anyone would agree with me. Your "reserve" seems to have the same status.

The real tragedy is of course as usual you are right and wrong both at the same time.... a similar predicament that this government and many before it seem to have been in!

:hairpull:

"Why the OP chose to post here rather than doing the obvious thing of talking to all those concerned is beyond me ... maligning a small and generally ethical association in the process. Phil"

I chose to post here to find out from a moral stand point what the general feeling of the beekeeping community was. I knew from a legal point of view i can do nothing. hence the reason the post was entitled "Ethics". The association in question is generally an ethical association. I have sent you details of the beekeeping trainer who contacted me. I checked the website which confirmed his role.

Last edited:
Back