Beekeeper lite. iPhone app.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmonster

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Was introduced to the beekeeper lite app yesterday so not had chance to use it yet, but might be a useful tool.

I dont like that you have to allow location services for it to work, why does it need to know.
Too many thefts of hives happening at the moment without allowing who knows to have the location of my hives. I will stick to my notebook and pen.

Last edited:
There's nothing to stop you putting in the wrong locations if you wish.
And of coarse you already have taken steps to protect the information on your phone should another beek steal your iphone.

I agree but why is it on there in the first place. Just incase you forget where your apiary is ?
Why not make it a stand alone app with no need for any location finding. If it was like this I am sure more beeks would use it.

I agree but why is it on there in the first place. Just incase you forget where your apiary is ?
Why not make it a stand alone app with no need for any location finding. If it was like this I am sure more beeks would use it.

Advising potentially at risk beeks of disease outbreaks?

Id prefer to avoid getting my expensive smart phone covered in nectar, propolis and honey as well as running the risk of forgetting it behind me after the inspection, and this is from a confirmed gadget addict.

I can'd find this app
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not scrapping MY hive tool with an iPhone !!!
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh wow...I love apps...I'm a real kgeek fo things like that....where do I get it and what does it do?

I dont like that you have to allow location services for it to work, why does it need to know.
I'm unlikely to be buying an iphone just to try it. The idea from the website seems to be to use GPS services to log site locations. It doesn't say specifically but the most likely use of GPS is to default any visit logging to the nearest apiary when you're out, maybe back at the car rather than standing over the hive. It saves a step every time to choose from a potentially long list of sites. The claim is that it works without GPS if you want but it's an obvious advantage of mobile over logging everything back at base.

As for the theft risk, there's a lot more at risk than hives on most phones. Bank or paypal details for one, home address and email trails that make impersonation a doddle. And of course they've already nicked your phone; removing the most obvious evidence of where it came from and selling it on is the priority for most thefts. If your phone's not locked, checking where your hives are is unlikely to be the first thing a thief will be doing.

Latest posts

Back