I made an app to help you determine when best to inspect your hives, InspectNext

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever completed a hearing quality of life questionnaire which looks at the impact of hearing loss on an individual? It’s a useful tool that can help to support your request for help
It’s not that bad. The other ear is ok. I never realised it till one day my tinnitus ramped up a bit so I blocked off each ear in turn which is daft as tinnitus is in your head. Amazingly I couldn’t hear the tele in one ear.

It’s not that bad. The other ear is ok. I never realised it till one day my tinnitus ramped up a bit so I blocked off each ear in turn which is daft as tinnitus is in your head. Amazingly I couldn’t hear the tele in one ear.
The NHS offer a variety of models and they map the audio/frequency response of each ear then program the hearing aid to bring back the users detection to normal expectations. Higher frequency loss is common with age although it's not a linear progression which is where the "tuning" of the digital aids comes in. My wife has a Phonak brand. Being able to hear birdsong and the voices of children again is quite wonderful. Each ear can be catered for differently, connection to hearing loops in public buildings is possible and limited volume adjustment by the wearer for comfort in say a rock concert is possible. Things are very much different to the old days. 😎

Last edited:
Being able to hear birdsong and the voices of children again is quite wonderful.
Absolutely. I can't hear birdsong WITH that ear (don't want anybody suggesting that, as well as a television, I have an aviary in my head and being a bird brain) and the other thing I've noticed, since paying attention, is that sometimes localising sound is difficult.

Absolutely. I can't hear birdsong WITH that ear (don't want anybody suggesting that, as well as a television, I have an aviary in my head and being a bird brain) and the other thing I've noticed, since paying attention, is that sometimes localising sound is difficult.
While at school in the early 1960s we had a history teacher who had both a wooden leg and a hearing aid he wore with a wire from the earpiece to a box in his top pocket. Us evil little sods would frequently speak softer and softer through a lesson and he would turn up the volume of the aid. When it was about at maximum we would switch to speaking loudly which resulted in frantic scrabbling to turn down the hearing aid.
I don't know how he got into teaching but he had some odd ways. Often we would be studying stuff like the Canterbury Tales and he would be reading extracts aloud. Having reached a particular point he would tell us to continue reading silently ourselves. That was always a signal that something juicy was coming up in the next few paragraphs.

While at school in the early 1960s we had a history teacher who had both a wooden leg and a hearing aid he wore with a wire from the earpiece to a box in his top pocket. Us evil little sods would frequently speak softer and softer through a lesson and he would turn up the volume of the aid. When it was about at maximum we would switch to speaking loudly which resulted in frantic scrabbling to turn down the hearing aid.
I don't know how he got into teaching but he had some odd ways. Often we would be studying stuff like the Canterbury Tales and he would be reading extracts aloud. Having reached a particular point he would tell us to continue reading silently ourselves. That was always a signal that something juicy was coming up in the next few paragraphs.
Have a heart! The straps to a wooden leg can be quite tight.

On the subject of being deaf. My wife received a reminder her reading glasses prescription was "old" along with a flyer for audio testing. Her optical prescription hadn't varied but the free audio test revealed a hearing defect which she was advised required a hearing aid costing a couple of thousand pounds. Fortunately she didn't immediately agree to go forward but came home to discuss it. I suggested she ask our GP which resulted in a brief check test at the local surgery. This was followed up with a detailed test at the hospital and she now has exactly the same model of hearing aid the "free" test suggested by the optical company for zero cost plus free service and batteries for life.
The NHS certainly looks after our family in our advancing years. ☺️
I can agree with that. It all started when SWMBO accused me of "not listening to a word I say". Nowt to do with being deaf I thought but went for a test to keep the peace. Result was that I was slightly deaf in one ear and moreso in the other. With two new aids I can hear beautifully. Downside is that my originals excuse has now gone. Equally, when I'm in the Landrover, I can now hear every knock, creak, groan, fart, bang and whistle which I couldn't before the aids.
Handy aside is the NHS app (for those with a phone) has a "find my aid" feature. Handy when I flicked my aid halfway across the apiary into long grass. Found it in 5 mins.

Equally, when I'm in the Landrover, I can now hear every knock, creak, groan, fart, bang and whistle which I couldn't before the aids.
I never found a Landrover that comfortable.

I never found a Landrover that comfortable.
the series ones are a far more comfortable drive than the coil sprung transition/County/defender/wolf which came later and felt safer on extreme rough terrain driving

the series ones are a far more comfortable drive than the coil sprung transition/County/defender/wolf which came later and felt safer on extreme rough terrain driving
My '03 Discovery eventually became expensive to MOT (along with other age related snags of which there were a few). It's now in the hands of a local landscape gardener who could do the various welding jobs himself and I often see it being driven around the locality with a trailer full of brushwood etc behind. It was a damn good towing vehicle but the padded seats took up much of the interior space. As one guy observed "they are a good motor but there's no bloody room inside"

I agree. My fave was my 1968 2a ex-military. Just couldn't kill it. Current TD5 snaps springs too often. Softer ride with plenty of gizmos to go wrong.

Ignore the haters, I think it's a great little app and well done, could be extremely handy especially for new beekeepers.

Maybe for future growth, you could put in current conditions of each hive and have it tell you what might/might not need inspecting this week, it's been something I've been trying to do manually to make time in the apiary more efficient.

We did much the same to a Latin teacher, though as well as the soft/loud alternation occasionally we'd whistle softly.
Kids are cruel! 😁

I agree. My fave was my 1968 2a ex-military. Just couldn't kill it. Current TD5 snaps springs too often. Softer ride with plenty of gizmos to go wrong.
Series 2A - possibly my most comfortable vehicle (apart from noise level). Seemed to be designed so that you can get out of it and run. Strangely similar sitting posture to an original mini.

I've had shocking tinnitus for years. Seems to be getting worse lately. Nothing seems to fix it

Latest posts

Back