I made an app to help you determine when best to inspect your hives, InspectNext

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think mine was caused by lots of ear infections. I was having 2 or 3 a year at one point. I keep clean and never use ear buds. I just seem to be prone to them. Bloody painful. Feels like someone is pushing a red hot power in your ear

SWMBO is always accusing me of 'selective hearing' or just ignoring her, but then, after hours in the 'bunker' at Glangwili hospital they discovered that my ears cannot actually pick up the band of frequencies contained in the female voice. They actually handed me a signed piece of paper to that effect.
It's one of the few certificates I've seen that is of some practical use
Worth its weight in gold! Could be a profitable source of income for a counterfeiter......

SWMBO is always accusing me of 'selective hearing' or just ignoring her, but then, after hours in the 'bunker' at Glangwili hospital they discovered that my ears cannot actually pick up the band of frequencies contained in the female voice. They actually handed me a signed piece of paper to that effect.
It's the fine (hairs) sic - don't know the proper term for them - that are the first to be damaged by noise and these are the ones that are principally responsible for the highe frequency, higher pitched sounds. Once they are all broken you've had it - they don't re-grow,

My left ear was damaged by ear infections as a child and then, later on, loud car and motorcyle engines, compounded later by Black Sabbath, Mott the Hoople, Status Quo and Argent at the South Parade Pier, Southese ! It's like everything else when you are young - it's not going to happen to you. I tell my young colleagues at work that their music in their earbuds is too loud because I can hear it and they will end up deaf like me ... do they take any notice ? Not a lot ...

Oh, well, if we're all joining in, I have limited hearing in my left ear because (so I'm told) the aural nerves were damaged by an infection I caught whilst scuba diving at Stoney Cove. It wasn't an entirely disastrous trip however. I saw a couple turn up and unload all their diving kit from an MR2 (the Mark 2). So when I was made redundant a short while later I bought one with the redundancy money :D

James

Can you send me a copy? 😂

Crikey... aren't a lot of beekeepers deaf!
Is it a prerequisite or just a function of beekeepers' age?
I am not deaf in normal conversation but my yoga classes consist of a female teacher speaking over a quite noisy soundtrack of mixed music. Differentiating the speech from the soundtrack is virtually impossible at times.
I just copy what she does and ignore what she says.

I am 76 though.

I have lost my high pitch frequency hearing so timer alarms at work were a problem, Caused by too much shotgun shooting pigeons and rabbits when wearing ear defenders was regarded as you being a bit of a wimp............... Wife complains but I can't hear her or when she shouts I ignore it.

Sorry to hear so many beeps have damaged hearing due to previous lifestyles.
At 85 my hearing is losing the high notes, so conversation in a crowded place is difficult - but my apiary is quiet so all the more reason to spend time there.
what I am trying to do is to find ways for external monitoring of colony progress thru the annual cycle. Opening a hive is unnatural for the bees and loss of nest atmosphere , due to opening, could be setting them back each time.
one way to monitor may be to listen to the hive sound. Normal is said to be 200 hz, rising to 300 hz when swarm preps get under way.

I have bought a small amplifier, size of a smart phone, with two ear buds, for placing at the hive entrance.
does anyone think it possible to train ourselves to recognise 200 hz as the sound of a gentle pond fountain - and 300 hz as a bit higher and with a bit of scratchingness?

I never found a Landrover that comfortable.
So I was told, but my Series 3 is on it's original leaf springs and yet I feel only swooping comfort over London speed humps and potholes; some of its 48 years must have been sheltered.

Here's a photo to bring back JBMemories:

Coastguard Series 3.jpg

So I was told, but my Series 3 is on it's original leaf springs and yet I feel only swooping comfort over London speed humps and potholes; some of its 48 years must have been sheltered.

Here's a photo to bring back JBMemories:

View attachment 37953
Yes I was referring to humps but not the speed ones!

Latest posts

Back