Beehauses through the winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But back to reality! Yes I have bees in.

A randomly selected hive, as equal, maybe weaker than my others, but I would say in the later stages of the foraging season they where noticeably more active than my other hives.

More wax building than I would have liked, especially as I only has std national frames, so they have built a bit of brace comb to fill out to the beehaus 14x12.

All of which I put down to the insualtion of the hive.

Now a good solid colony as can bee seen from my blog pics.

We still have a few months left to come out the other side, so more to follow.

Oxalic acid will be the next intervention, so lets see if it does not melt the hive:svengo:

Last edited:
Somerford, you clearly enjoy baiting the anti-Beehaus brigade. I shall watch this thread with interest!

is that really what you think of this thread, a question about the beehaus in the beehaus forum, whatever next :svengo:

I thought we had come to the conclusion that there isn't anyone anti beehaus, they are just anti beehaus publicity and price. afer all, it is just another box to keep bees in.

I think this foum will be interesting reading in a years time when we can really see how well the bee's are getting along, and I have no doubt that they will be fine :cheers2:

Anyone keeping bees in their BH this winter ? Any Pros/Cons noted so far ?

:cheers2:

regards

S

I too have bees in one, a weaker colony but will see how they do.

x fingers.

Jez

I actually asked for a white one, in the end its turning white on its own :cheers2:

Somerford, you clearly enjoy baiting the anti-Beehaus brigade. I shall watch this thread with interest!

Rooftops, why do you think this thread is baiting anyone ?

I have simply asked a question of beehaus owners to share knowlege.

People uninterested in the BH choose not to either look at this section of the forum, or not to reply.

It is intended to share knowledge.

I am at a loss as to your train of thought.

regards

S

Somerford, I have no problem with the Beehaus, the manufacturers have done beekeeping a service by shaking things up a bit. I was refering to how some people never miss an opportunity to be rude about them and it seemed to me you were offering them further opportunity for continuing. As it turns out there has been no responses as I expected, so I was wrong. Mind you, there has been very little response of any sort so at least my post has given this thread something to talk about!

Somerford,

You might get a more informative resonse from Johannes or James at omlette. But their replies might be just a tad biased? I believe they might have as many as eight or more. Robin Dartington has one that, presumably, has bees in it.

I expect that there are not that many with bees in them.

Oh, and by the way, you could ask roblynmouth - he had bees in his. They might still be there.

Regards, RAB

resonse from xxxxx

good luck, they are very slow to reply but I guess they are busy too.

I would offer my pros and cons for Wintering but its not over yet so hard to quantify, but to date :-

Pros
- entrance does not seem to get blocked with snow too much
- high stand means deep falls of snow are not an isssue

Cons
- supers are not an ideal solution for placing fondant on (wind etc)
- found that some rain does get in (again with windy weather)

Somerford, I have no problem with the Beehaus, the manufacturers have done beekeeping a service by shaking things up a bit. I was refering to how some people never miss an opportunity to be rude about them and it seemed to me you were offering them further opportunity for continuing. As it turns out there has been no responses as I expected, so I was wrong. Mind you, there has been very little response of any sort so at least my post has given this thread something to talk about!

sorry I took the wrong track - I thought you were being provocative !!

I agree with your points above

regards

S

Latest posts

Back