Pre-Drawn Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBee463

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've seen a few 'adverts' for pre-drawn comb on some social media sites recently. As a very new beekeeper I don't have any drawn comb as I only got my colony last July/August so does anyone have any experience of the pre-drawn sheets? My initial thoughts are, how do they do it and if it is drawn by bees then is there a risk of disease transfer? I know that drawn comb is a very useful commodity to have so just wondering the pros and cons of this stuff.

Thanks all, looking forward to things getting busy over the next few weeks (my girls have been really bust the last few sunny and warm days we've had so i'm pleased they've made it this far through winter).

never buy 'second hand' drawn comb (either brood or super) unless you are 100% certain of it's provenance and disease free status.
The far West Walians love to trade in used comb - both brood and unbrooded and it is often seen at auctions down there (it's also a hotspot for both types of foulbrood - funny old thing) - the current RBI for Wales has said, next time she goes to an auction and sees any, she's going to drag it out to the carpark and set a match to it!!

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of ads for synthetic (but made from natural compounds - not beeswax) and sterilised beeswax. I think i'll just steer clear anyway, but was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this.

Thanks all

There's a Spanish (or Portuguese?) company that has developed a machine that uses beeswax to create artificial comb. They'll cut it into the sizes you want so it'll fit any size frames. I have no idea how much it is, nor their minimum order size. This stuff would be fine to use in your hives but, as the others point out, don't use someone else's used comb.

JimBee easy to have /make your own drawn brood comb, simply use a brood box/s as supers and then when extracted you have nice fresh comb for next year.
Only trust your own drawn combs from your own bees so that you know it's provenance .

JimBee easy to have /make your own drawn brood comb, simply use a brood box/s as supers and then when extracted you have nice fresh comb for next year.
Only trust your own drawn combs from your own bees so that you know it's provenance .

Thanks but my extractor is only suitable for super frames unfortunately. I'll ask my BKA if their extractors will do brood frames and maybe consider borrowing one of those and get some comb that way. I think i'll be OK for this year and not need to do any comb changes as my colony are so 'young'.

I've seen Humble Bee in Durham selling machine-produced drawn comb - £69.99 for a brood box full. Anyone any idea how or where it's produced? Looks perfect quality and if I could get it in bulk, I wondered if anyone else would fancy some at cost? I'm vaguely tempted, as with all shiny new gadgetry when it comes to bees!

Nope definitely not, with all your colony’s Rory wouldn’t it be better if you concentrating your efforts/£ on your girls producing there own wax comb.

Mark
I'm just idle and am in haste to increase my colonies - have lost probably a third due to not getting round with a bust back- doubtless feeding and splitting is the more sensible option! Cheers

Crikey, so bloody expensive even before importing!
The box contains 12 sheets which is 3.7kg of wax. Thus, a kg of wax would cost €16.75 for a manufactured product. In Spain the price per kg of unstretched sheets is €12-14/kg so I don't think expensive is the right word.

Latest posts

Back